Author Topic: new/used kiln  (Read 1448 times)

Stringman

new/used kiln
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:31:39 pm »
So i just aquired this kiln and it looks like its in good condition. The one thing that became apparent was that there is no way to gauge the temp. What do you guys do to find the temperature. Is there a certain type of thermometer that you must used?

Offline piper

Re: new/used kiln
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:45:48 pm »
you can go to walmart and get a turkey cooking prob .............................. curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:57:58 pm »
Like a pottery kiln?
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:51:25 pm »
Hey give me call and I will give you a couple of options.  I teach ceramics so the are a few things to think about. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:16:56 am »
I'm in the process of getting a switch put on mine so I can control the temperature.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:10:44 am »
Yes it is an old ceramic kiln. Does the turkey prob go to a high enough temp?

Jon, I'll try to call ya this afternoon.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:05:47 pm »
I do not think a probe goes high enough. If I remember my art classes correctly, kilns can get into the 4 digit temp range (1000+).
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:16:08 pm »
OK I will look up a couple of options for you and post them here as well. The very best thing would be a programable on off control to hold the temp where you want it. I have a pyrometer (nonprogrammable) I can loan you to try. If you like it you can order one for yourself. Just let me know and I will put it in that box I am sending you. You could learn the kiln and make a chart when you need to add heat and shut it down. As it turns out the company that makes this stuff is in Fort Madison IA just 20 minutes from here. I will call them today and see what they recommend.

Most likely the kiln is setup for a cone (a cone melts when it reaches temp and turns the kiln off) You will need a cone as a safety feature anyway. I have a pile of them and you will only need a couple. This cone will only function to turn the kiln on. You do not want to wire it up because that is not safe. Also many kilns have another safety feature built in. There maybe a timer that will shut the kiln down after so many hours. Can you send me a text of the control unit you have.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 01:04:06 pm »
mine goes to 2300 dgs, I think that will melt a turkey thermometer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 02:06:36 pm »
OK the best way to do this is with a data recorder and the price is about 140 but you can buy a controller for the the same price and add a few more components and have one that you don't have to think about. What this means is that you have two options. Option A is a pyrometer that only tells you the temp and you then you control the kiln and Option B you buy a controller that is also a pyrometer but it controls the kiln for you and the price is about the same. Now you can buy pyrometer for around 80 dollars (and I have one) but they are not great. I have a diagram being sent to me that I will share with you at some point if you like but I cant post it. I can explain this later. If anyone else would like info you can PM me.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »
I have researched every part you need and have it in a word doc I can email it to you after I check one more thing tomorrow. looks like the cost is about 234.00 for everything minus a box to put it all in. Call me tonight I will go over it with you. I know 230 sounds like a lot but it is cheap when you think of the cost of heat treated flint. This is also cheap when you think about a  pragramable new kiln costing 1500 to 2000 dollars.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:25:09 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »
The closest to this is a manufactured for 400