Author Topic: Hackberry Longbow  (Read 6433 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Hackberry Longbow
« on: February 12, 2012, 04:47:02 pm »
Well for starters, I got a messed up tiller on this one, after sanding to 220, so depressingly I am thinking I have to go and adjust a little bit, which sux, it is a little whippy for starters with little bend inner limb, and the top limb specifically has a potential hinge. It is a little annoying. I had to leave the top upper midlimb stiff to counter act a deflex in the stave there, and now that spot is too stiff. It is weighting around 50# probably right now. Still has good string tension. I think I might make some new tip flipping jigs and try to flip some set out of the tips, which already has about 2 1/2" set. The bow is 70 3/8" nock to nock. Here's some pics. Also, you can see how the bow works (in all the wrong spots,  >:D) in the video link...

The upper limb on the right, lower limb on the left:

Left some inner bark-ish brown stuff, (I think it is called "cambium"?) on the back:

Upper limb is where it is bending too much near the tip. Here's the link to the video of me drawing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmDzFUVT50&feature=youtu.be

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline coaster500

Re: Hackberry Longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »
I see what you're talking about but still looks pretty good. I really like Hackberry but haven't seen it used like this before. I'll bet it will really fling an arrow :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:51:02 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:03:02 pm »
Hackberry has a feel like no other wood when worked with a sharp tool, man, I love it.  And the smell is soo wonderful. 

When you get the tiller adjusted to where you like it, maybe you could consider piking it just a little.  I know the ELB hardcores can't stand to see anything less than the mystical 72", but it could put a few lbs of draw weight back on her!  Nice bow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 05:47:27 pm »
Daniel,i am working on one of those hackberry staves that i got from you.i guess it is turning out ok.first hackberry for me.wish i could do pics,i need some feedback.it has got some character from knots.maybe when i get her done,i will bring it by and show you.do you still live in Hamilton?.let me know,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:26:57 pm »
Arg, I didn't realize that the video wouldn't let anybody see it. Thats just stupid. I'm gonna go change that right now.

I see what you're talking about but still looks pretty good. I really like Hackberry but havn't seen it used like this before. I'll bet it will really fling an arrow :)

Thank you. I hope it shoots ok. I'm wantin to flip the tips a bit before I put the horn nocks on. I'm just worried it might effect the already not so perfect tiller when I do.

Hackberry has a feel like no other wood when worked with a sharp tool, man, I love it.  And the smell is soo wonderful. 

When you get the tiller adjusted to where you like it, maybe you could consider piking it just a little.  I know the ELB hardcores can't stand to see anything less than the mystical 72", but it could put a few lbs of draw weight back on her!  Nice bow!

Thank ya JW. I like shorter elb's too. A short d bow draws real smooth compared to a short stiff handled bow. Shoot, traditionally they would be at least 90#s and around 78" nock to nock anyway. And would of course never be make of hackberry.  So I don't get the point in being traditional anyway, cause it would cost me maybe 100 - 200 dollars for a yew stave plus shipping just to make a traditional longbow, and than a good year or so of practice and training just to shoot one (well). ;D ;D ;D

Daniel,i am working on one of those hackberry staves that i got from you.i guess it is turning out ok.first hackberry for me.wish i could do pics,i need some feedback.it has got some character from knots.maybe when i get her done,i will bring it by and show you.do you still live in Hamilton?.let me know,Steve

Thats weird. I coulda swore there wasn't a single knot or even pin knot in those hackberry staves. I don't remember too well though. (my memory is crap anymore) It's gotta be the longer stave then. Hackberry sometimes has knots under the wood though, but usually has a nice clean back. It messes with my head, because ill get a stave all ready to steam bend, because it looks completely clean on the back, and when I reduce it down there is a grey black knot thing right on the belly of the part I need to recurve/tip flip!. It only really happens on smaller diameter tree though. Ya I still live in the same place. We are about to get a mortgage and move out though in a couple months, (hopefully). That hackberry's fun as hell to steam bend though. A good hour of steaming, and a good form, and it'll hold nicely without any recoil after you take it out the form (as I have recently found out,  :laugh:). It is true what they say, that it needs to be pretty dry like hickory does. Typically ill get 1" to 1 1/2" set, without heat treating or hot boxing it. You should start postin your work steve, I bet you make some wicked bows!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:31:15 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:42:17 pm »
Nice looking bow. I would be proud of that one.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 07:59:16 pm »
Your right Knots....  unless you live where Yew grows it costs a fortune. I really want to try a Hack stave myself for an elb...  heck of allot easier on the wallet if if doesn't pan out :(

cool video...  I think JW is right if you piked it a bit you could work that upper limb and that bow would be perfect!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 08:12:10 pm »
I might pike it a bit when I put the nocks on. I will probably flip the tips though first and see what the tiller looks like if I get off my lazy butt and make some new tip flipper forms sometime.  :laugh:

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 08:39:35 pm »
Daniel,i have been having a great time working with the hackberry.first time ever working with it.i still have one more very long stave that is very straight.gonna try and make an english longbow with that one.allready have some horn nocks for it.you have been making some interesting bow lately.i may need your help on the longbow.keep up the good work brother,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42:25 pm »
That's a great looking bow.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 09:29:08 pm »
Daniel,i have been having a great time working with the hackberry.first time ever working with it.i still have one more very long stave that is very straight.gonna try and make an english longbow with that one.allready have some horn nocks for it.you have been making some interesting bow lately.i may need your help on the longbow.keep up the good work brother,Steve

No prob, I can send ya some dimensions if you want, or if ya need any help or anything ill help to the best of my abilities. And Ill keep up the work, but I don't promise it will be good.  :laugh:

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 07:03:40 am »
Looks good, i would also go for pike and heat treat, maybe not tip flip just pulled into reflex a couple inches and a slow deep heat treat.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 12:29:08 pm »
congrats! thats quite a longbow ,never made one that size.

Love making and shooting Hackberry! its plentiful, a good forgiving wood, has a nice stringiness in the wood grain
and doesn't mind being fire bent, or twisted either.   but it does tend to follow the string.
I have some staves i'm seasoning longer then my first hack. bows. I'm hoping seasoned ones don't follow the string
as much as the ones i made with fresher wood.
Anyone have suggestions for a good length time of seasoning hackberry?
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline bcbull

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 01:31:27 pm »
if it was me i would heat treat the belly marc st louis did the colum in p a a couple years ago when i asked that qustion  sience then every hack bow iv made has been heat treated ill tell ya you ll notice a big big diffrance  it s the way to go with hackberry i love the stuff but i defintaly would do that then see where it s at befor i flipped any tips or anything just my .02 brock

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 01:34:11 pm »
Thanks Dwardo and Richard. Dwardo, I have not got a paint remover gun, nor do I have a caul made up at this point, or else I would take your advice. Pearl Drums also told me that hackberry likes to be heat treated. I need to make one really. I have tried heat treating before, but did not get the hang of it too much. I really didn't like the look of the discolored wood, but I'm sure thats cause I screwed it all up and didn't do it right!  :laugh: Richard, I like to season the fresh splits about 2 to 3 months to let them reflex and twist if they are going to, and then I will rough out a bow and let it dry. After the bow is roughed out it drys real fast. Maybe a month in the summer, two months plus some hot boxing to be sure. If you can get it real dry, it will not take that much set. One thing that helps me with reducing set is to throw the staves in my van in the summer sun all day. When they come out they smell great, like they were baked in an oven. I love that smell. LOL One thing that seems to help with set too (obviously) is to start with a reflexed stave, and it seems when I leave the log as a half log for the first month or so it will most likely reflex, where as if I split it into quarters immediately, it will sometime deflex. But I guess it is not fail safe, as wood's gonna do what woods gonna do. Ill just sinew backed bows outta my deflexed stave, and reflex them when I put the sinew on I guess.