Author Topic: My introduction  (Read 3283 times)

Offline sleek

My introduction
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:43:44 am »
This is my first post over here, some of yall know me from the other websight I am sure. Honestly, it is odd it took me so long to come to this sight because my first honest effort to make a bow ( as an adult ) was influenced by PA magazine.

Back in 2008 I was working as a compound bow tech at Bass Pro shops when I saw an issue of PA on the desk. It was dead so I started flipping through the magazine and was struck by some of the bows in the Bows of the Month column. I remember one specific bow of osage was described as having an electric neon glow to it. I had tried to make bows as a kid, but failed, ( the sticks that hold a kite together dont like to bend very much ) and was excited to be reminded of the possibility of making an honest bow. I went to work the next day and the issue was no longer on the counter so I didnt get to learn much from it.

I picked up a K-Bar knife I have had for a long time and went to work on a piece of fir I had cut down with it. I broke it quickly not knowing the back of the bow shouldnt be violated, but that started me back into bows. A year later I found myself wanting to hunt. With no weapon and no money for one, there was only one solution. After a touch of very limited research on this sight and a few others I found out that a bow should have an untouched back. I went out to a stand of elm armed with only that knowledge and a K-Bar knife.

The sapling I brought home gave me a month of wood chip making experience. After many days of chopping, and learning to make string I did find myself amazed to be holding a bow.  The bow came to be 50 lbs at 24 inches 47 inches ntn and 1.5 inches wide from handle to knock.  I hunted all season with it, never to get more than 30 yards from game, I never even drew on a deer. But just being out there was thrilling knowing that I had in my hand the power of a bow created by me. I still have it hanging on my wall and it still shoots years later.

I would like to say thank you PA for having your magazine sitting on my counter at work that day. Had it not of been there I may not have ever made a bow after so many childhood disappointments from trying. I have made quite a few now, some good, some bad, and one downright UGLY one that a friend of mine refuses to cremate though I beg him over and over to put it out of its misery.

I didnt mean to write a book here, thanks for reading, and thanks for getting me started.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:47:10 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: My introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:25:11 am »
Great post.
Welcome aboard.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:00:42 am »
Enjoy your stay. You came to the right place. Primitive sites gets NO better than this one. The people, the mod's and the content are second to none. I compare it to a bag of chips, pretty hard to stay away once you tear that bag open!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 10:32:09 am »
hey sleek :)...welcome to PA....youll like it here too. I stumbled across A PA magazine back in the day as well,and it was part of the catalyst and motivation to get me to want to make these things too.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:40:46 am »
Did I mention the mods are second to none without arrogant attitude?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 10:41:08 am »
Welcome, Sleek. In my short time here I have never felt more at home. I nicer bunch of folks willing to help you won't find anywhere.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:57 am »
Welcome to PA, Sleek!  Good to have you.  I had a similar story, working at an archery tackle manufacturer.  Mostly compound, wanted to switch to traditional but couldn't afford to buy one.  Long story short, learned how to make a selfbow.  Twenty years later, and I still have the sickness.  Just can't put 'em down.

You're gonna like it here.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:49:32 am »
Welcome Sleek ! Yep, this is THE place. Lots to discover and start taking up your time and thoughts  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:47:26 pm »
Welcome to PA
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 06:05:30 pm »
Oh, quit the whiney, sentimental crap.  Confess that you are an addict like the rest of us and you have no control over it!  You would rather sneak out in the middle of the night and cut down a neighbor's tree for staves than sleep the deep and comforting sleep of the innocent.

Every time you see a bush you wonder if there are arrow shafts growing in there, piles of rock could conceal knappable silicates, and every bit of uninhabited land (and plenty with habitation) makes you wonder if you could put up a treestand or brush blind. 

You are a junkie like the rest of us!  To justify yourself and mask your guilt you will probably pass it on to the next guy, AND HIS KIDS!  It isn't enough to feed your own addiction, but you gotta start hooking others to bring them down to your own level.  I know.  I do the same. 

We are Bow-aholics.  One is never enough.  There is no "too many".

Welcome to the Hotel California of Hunting, Sleek.  You can check in any time you want, but you can never leave.    >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Like our bows, we are a bent and twisted people. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum... there's alot of great ppl on here. Pa is the kind of magazine you never throw away because all the great info

Jon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 06:21:49 pm »
Welcome, Sleek. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 06:23:40 pm »
Well thanks for the welcome guys. I see allot of folks I know here so i wont feel like to much a stranger :) Looking foward to contributing to the fun.

JW, fine, I admit it, you are right. I am an insomniac due to this hobbie. I work on it till 3,4,5 AM often. Then get up after a few hours of sleep to do it again before I have to go to work. My wife complains saying I would rather mess around with all my hard/soft wood than with her... Sad thing is, its true. Wood chips are everywhere, my wifes purse, kids backpack for school, my truck floor carper, dryer lint trap, bed sheets, and other odd places I cant remember right now. They are my  constant companion.

My wifes drives me almost everywhere. Why? Because if she doesnt I would wreck for looking at the bow wood growing in the ditches. I have all my staves indoors, and were you to walk in my house you would compliment me on my wooden wall untill you realized that wall is a wall of staves. The only reason I can identify a tree species is because of bow making. My wife wears some of my broken bow strings a jewelry, bracelets mainly. My 6 year old has made his own bow, and my wife hers also. I am a mess and dont want help out of it. I enjoy my addiction. I suspect I am not alone :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:24 pm »
Let me be the first to confirm your suspicions.    ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »
Is there any help for this condition?  It seems the only treatment plan involves more of the same...