Author Topic: proper adhesive advice please  (Read 1712 times)

Offline GaryR

proper adhesive advice please
« on: February 12, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »
I bought a draw knife with one ruined handle for $7. I made a new one out of oak that I'd been trimming in the yard. Now that I have it as good as I can/care to, what glue should I use to attach steel to wood for a rigid fit? What can I do to the other handle to make it rigid again without removing it?

before
[i
100_2482 by garyrapp55, on Flickrmg][/img]

after
[im
100_2483 by garyrapp55, on Flickrg][/img]

Offline gstoneberg

Re: proper adhesive advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:41:24 pm »
I don't think they're glued on at all Gary.  You need to make another thin metal cup to fit the end of the handle with a small hole in the center and then the metal end of the draw knife is peened over to hold it in place.  I only know this because I ripped one of my handles off one day peeling osage and had to repair it.  Mine is not glued, but it's not that tight either.  Be curious what others say.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline GaryR

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 03:51:33 pm »
George, I have the metal cap to put back on, I just want to pump it full of glue first to help hold it tight. I was thinking JB Weld but not sure how well it works on wood. What do you think I could do to the other handle to firm it up?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »
You could use 2 part epoxy. I'd score the metal shank and the inside of the handle to give the epoxy something to grab.
Keenan had a cool way of replacing handles. He uses antler for the handle and heats the handle shank and pushes it into the pithy antler center. If sort of makes its own glue when the hot metal sears the antlar and they hold tight.
  Maybe Keenan will chime in with a better explanation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:34 am »
 I put an antler handle on one of Keenan's homemade draw knives. I boiled the antler and beat it on. Still holding good. For the oak I'd drill out the hole a little way in, coat the metal with JB Weld with fibre and tap it in the rest of the way.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:49:54 am »
I checked both my draw knives and neither one has the handles on tight.  Might just be because they're old.  I agree that either straight epoxy or the JB Weld version should do the job.  I've got a partial can of JB Weld if you're over this way.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline GaryR

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:06:30 am »
J B weld it is then thanx