Author Topic: build along  (Read 21818 times)

tradrick

Re: build along
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 01:19:57 pm »
This is very cool.And I'll be watching closely.Its hard to find anyplace else were you can witness/learn such skills.I hear ya on the heat it was 99 yesterday here.Thanks for shareing.tradrick

jamie

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 01:29:18 pm »
i think the next one will get videod so everything can be seen. should of thought of it sooner. peace

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 01:43:48 pm »
Sweet build along. Truly stonage... you don't even get to pick the rocks you use ;D!

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 01:47:49 pm »
Jamie, cool that you are limiting yourself to just what you have on hand. And as for the weather, it will be bitterly cold and snowing before you know it. Then we will wish for the heat, humidity included. Just drink lots of fluids, and don't overtax yourself.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

jamie

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 01:51:46 pm »
dane i can walk around all winter in a tshirt and flannel and be perfectly content.  :)

Offline Dane

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 02:09:34 pm »
Ah, one of those winter lovers, eh? I love hot weather, the hotter, the better. Bet you I'm the only one in this community who doesn't mind heat waves. It is probably 96 degrees in my office now, and I have a nice hot cup of joe here.

Grew up in the desert, and so I would prefer dry heat, but any heat is better than snow and ice. But, I am way to young to be a "snow bird" so I live with the sucky winter. :)

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 03:21:53 pm »
I'm with you Dane,....can't function in cold ;) ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 03:56:41 pm »
You guys are sick! ;)   I'm with Jamie! ;D Give me cold and snow any day...as a matter of fact, every day! 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 08:41:22 pm »
i had a bit of trouble with it today. i was decrowning it and found that one of the biggest knots that was about 6 inches down from the tip was pretty much the width of the whole limb. i piked it just below the knot. bow is probably about 52-54" long and has taken about 3" of reflex. just about floor tillered. i'll get some more pics up later. oh yeah went for a walk with the kids and saw a nice elm sapling and we chopped it down with some quartz. got it split too. i figured out a cool way to split these things with very little effort. when ive chopped about half way through the tree i give it a sharp bend away from the cut and the tree will split as much as i want it to. this last onei had split about a foot up the tree before i even dropped it. then just put a rock wedge in it put my fingers in the split and tore it apart making sure i was careful to control the split. works real well. peace

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 09:21:39 pm »
That is a good idea Jamie.  Split that sucker while it is half connected and it will stay in place for you. 

Pat, I like it warm. You can live here and have both.  Nice and warm, then drive 30 minutes and have 2 feet of snow.  Go back home and your feet get dry and warm.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

a finnish native

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 04:39:26 pm »
this build along will be interesting. I'm also a winter person. living north of the arctic circle I love snow and days when it's between -15 to -25 it was +25 today and I was sweating like a pig :D just waiting for the winter to come. Stop global warming! oh, and all of my temperatures are in centigrade ::)

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 07:33:36 pm »
Hey Jamie, this is going to be very interesting. Nice looking piece of wood. Can't wait to see what you can do with it.
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

Offline kcbrown

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 12:18:15 am »
It was just short of a 100 here today, I am ready for October. I have used some cedar under clear glass but not as a selfbow, this should be good.

jamie

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 08:59:44 am »
roughed out and mostly floor tillered. still have one weak spot.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 01:25:02 pm »
Looks like a bow to me :). How much thicker did you have to make it than, say, hickory or hophornbeam?