Author Topic: build along  (Read 21817 times)

jamie

build along
« on: August 07, 2007, 11:13:10 pm »
eddy said i needed a challenge so here it is. its cedar loaded with pins and one limb has about 5 branches stickin out of it. itll be built using only stone thats in my woods. first pics are me gettin it down and cut to length with a piece of basalt that i just knocked an edge off to get a sharper edge. oh yeah the tree was standin dead. ive used dead cedars before but not with rocks. then its me roughin it out and what i got done tonight. quartz works great on a clean stave but i just wanted to grab some good chert as this was the longest it has taken me to rough out a bow with stones and i didnt even get it floor tillered. 2 1/2 hrs so far. i didnt split it just scraped it to size cause i was afraid the knots would tear out and ruin the stave. looks to be about 64" long. have patience this is going to take some time. i may even rock boil some hide glue and sinew or rawhide back this sucker. peace

Offline michbowguy

Re: build along
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 11:17:39 pm »
man ill be watchin' this build close.
great job jamie.
let me gues..."simple d bow" right!
cant wait!...o maybe flipped tips...am i close!
jamie b.

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:20:03 pm »
wow thats cool.  is using rocks to rough it out hard?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:05:11 am »
looks like fun, when I can get some nice rocks to bang to shape, I'll get started on a stone age bow, Cedar seems like a good choice as I would think it would be easy to wok with stone tools.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 12:37:14 am »
Legend !! ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 12:54:24 am »
                     HOW DOES I LUV IT ! Let me count the ways, 9,674- 9,675 !  ;D ;D ;D.......bob

Offline Jbell

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 01:06:11 am »
Nice Jamie, this will be fun. Show us how a caveman does it. ;D
Justin Blunt

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 05:39:57 am »
Nice jamie,looks like it is as hot there as it is here.Did you split it down the middle or work
it down ?  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 06:02:24 am »
pappy i didnt want to split such a small piece with that had so many knots in it so i just scraped it down.
as far as easy it aint. id rather work a clean piece of white wood with chert. this quartz is real good for quartz but chert is way better. knots are sort of tough to work.

as far as style im sure itll be a flat bow thinking of decrowning it so i can work the soft wood rather than the heart.

heres a pic of the pile of quartz im using

DBernier

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 06:45:18 am »
Hey Jamie. Got a piece 80 inches long, split in half with about 13 knots. It is starting too curl slightly while drying--about 5 weeks. I'll be watching. Soon as I get my shaving horse back from PatB's, I'll start on it. I will be interested in the dim's and poundage. BTW my daughter in Simsbury says its as hot there as it is here (94 yesterday). In anticipation.

Dick

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 08:40:09 am »
Awesome project Jamie. I like the look of that cedar, can't wait to see more progress.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 08:46:59 am »
I think I got ya'll for heat. It's a nice uncomfortable 120 here right now.  >:(   Have a good day. Mike
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 08:52:23 am »
Jamie, you rock! Pun intended! :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

makete

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 09:25:16 am »
Cant wait to see more. This looks like it going to fun, for us anyway.  ;D

jamie

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 09:46:56 am »
ya know ya would think that i would be chompin at the bit to use a rasp or bandsaw with this project. but all i really want is a good piece of chert. i have normanskill from new york staring me in the face and i know it was heavily traded throughout new england but i just gotta do this one with local material. this ones gonna take some time. the nice thing is i keep learning more from each one of these i build.

as far as heat goes im gettin sick of it. the air is like soup this time of year. usually dont complain about it cause its something i cant fix but its startin to suck. today is supposed to be close to 100 and very high humidity. i roughed it out a bit more and started to bend it a bit. i have a feeling being mostly sap wood its gonna be pretty stout. peace