Author Topic: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow  (Read 277909 times)

Offline Arrowind

Re: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow
« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2012, 09:30:53 pm »
Gordon,

Thanks again for taking the time and doing this.   It's AWESOME and so helpful.
It may be a dumb question but I have to ask...

Do you ever use the Titebond Hide Glue for sinew? Why or why not?   

Thanks!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2012, 09:40:52 pm »
Arrowind,

I've never tried liquid hide glue for sinew. I don't think I would want to use it because 1) it would be a sticky mess (good for skins, a pain for sinew) and 2) it would probably take too long to cure.
Gordon

Offline Badger

« Reply #287 on: March 31, 2012, 09:48:01 pm »
  Gordon, have you ever tried the fish glue form Lee Vally. I used to use it for backings and sinew because it dried clear and left the sinew with a nice natural color. It did tend to have a slightly tacky surface if your hands were sweaty but it cured nicely, Perfect if you were going to cover with a skin.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2012, 10:49:04 pm »
I have not tried that glue Steve, but I will. Thank you for the tip!
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2012, 10:50:58 pm »
I like the look and feel of a built up handle. I’m going to build up the front of the handle using rawhide. I cut two pieces about 4” long and about ¾” wide. I glue them together using thick super-glue and then clamp in a bench vice. When the glue is cured I rough shape the piece by beveling the edges and ends using a belt sander.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2012, 10:55:07 pm »
Next I glue the rawhide piece to the handle with thick super-glue and wrap the works with cord to ensure a good bond.

After the glue has cured I perform the final shaping of the rawhide using a small file.

After shaping I wrap the handle area with braided fishing line and then soak the works with thin super-glue.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #291 on: March 31, 2012, 10:56:57 pm »
Next I am going to fashion an arrow shelf from a piece of hardwood.  I start with a piece that is about 1” by ½”. After the piece is cut I use my belt sander to rough out the rest.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #292 on: March 31, 2012, 10:58:21 pm »
I super glue the roughed out shelf to a piece of scrap that I can then clamp in a bench vice. I then use a small file and a sanding surface to shape the rest to final dimensions.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #293 on: March 31, 2012, 10:59:54 pm »
After shaping the rest, I gently separate the rest from the scrap piece using a chisel. I then shape the back of the rest to the handle by laying sand paper across the spot where the rest will be situated and sand the back of the rest until the surfaces mate. Unfortunately I got caught up in this task and neglected to photograph this step.

When the surfaces mate properly I glue the rest to the handle using thick super-glue.

Next up – applying the finish.
Gordon

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2012, 10:35:30 am »
More good stuff, Gordon. Thanks!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2012, 11:14:57 am »
What does the braided fishing line do?

I never thought of doing that with raw hide!  Pet store pieces?  I live next to a farm supply that sells these giant raw hide bones and I'm now wondering how to unroll them and redry them.  I think it will involve a long soak.  I seem to remember getting slapped by a wet raw hide my Great Dane used to play with as a child.

Offline Adam

« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2012, 11:20:57 am »
WOW! What an amazing bow! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2012, 01:33:53 pm »
You are doing a wonderful job on this bow, Gordon.  I have really enjoyed this buildalong as well as your hazelnut buildalong.. both are very inspiring and informative as well.  Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into these I know it isn't an easy task.  Your attention to detail is stunning and the way you are answering everyone's questions as you go is a great contribution to the bow making community.  Some people who make bows at your level try to keep many of their secrets close to the vest, but the way you freely share all your knowledge and experience is just a reflection on the kind of person you are at heart.  Thank you Gordon.  You truly are an inspiration.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gordon

« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2012, 01:36:54 pm »
Prairie,

The fishing line just creates a nice smooth transition from the built up area to the handle. It's probably overkill, I'm being a little obsessive. The rawhide I used was not dog chews, though I suppose you could make those work with some effort.

Thank you all for all the nice comments.
Gordon

Offline snag

« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2012, 03:44:38 pm »
Gordon,
  I like the idea of wrapping the shaped rawhide with the fishing line to even things up. I just purchased a roll of 1" wide rawhide at Oregon Leather Works here in Eugene to do this myself. Good timing in observing how you do this. Thank you, David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.