Author Topic: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow  (Read 278133 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow
« Reply #270 on: March 31, 2012, 01:16:27 pm »
Outstanding! Great skin backing demo.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #271 on: March 31, 2012, 01:17:24 pm »
I may have missed it but what is the length of this bow?

The bow is 57" ntn.

Thank you all for the really nice compliments.

Gordon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #272 on: March 31, 2012, 01:51:23 pm »
Amazing work!  I wish I had thought of titebond liquid hide blue for the sturgeon skin job I just did.  I was going back and forth between titebond III and sinew glue and went with sinew glue, but that brown bottle probably would have worked great.

Is that the thin titebond instant bond you used?   Is that better than the medium for that purpose?  I ask because I already have the medium on hand.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gordon

« Reply #273 on: March 31, 2012, 02:00:43 pm »
Is that the thin titebond instant bond you used?   Is that better than the medium for that purpose?

The bottle says "Titebond Liquid Hide Glue". It's not thin that's for sure. I keep the bottle in my refrigerator and when I need it, I warm the glue by setting the bottle in hot water for a while and then the glue spreads easily. It's the cat's meow when you need to lay down skins or rawhide.
Gordon

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #274 on: March 31, 2012, 02:47:50 pm »
I think he's talking about the ca glue. I had the same question.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Gordon

« Reply #275 on: March 31, 2012, 02:53:19 pm »
Oh, I see what the question is now. I use the thin (Instant Bond) ca for fixing the skins. I don't think you would want to use thicker glue for this purpose.
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #276 on: March 31, 2012, 02:56:36 pm »
 WOW excellent work!!! Hope to see this one in person at the gathering!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #277 on: March 31, 2012, 02:56:51 pm »
Is that what you are applying with the cloth?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Gordon

« Reply #278 on: March 31, 2012, 03:37:16 pm »
I use a clean cotton cloth for applying the superglue and cheese cloth for applying the shellac.
Gordon

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #279 on: March 31, 2012, 05:26:14 pm »
Gordon,
     What do you mean by "fixing" the skins with superglue?  Is the superglue holding the scales down flat before putting on your finish?  I have never done that.  I have just been putting tru-oil on over the skins.  Thanks again for the build-a-long and answering all the questions we have.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #280 on: March 31, 2012, 05:36:28 pm »
Where did you find that big 8 oz. bottle of the Titebond CA?  I didn't even know they made crazy glue, I've never seen it in stores.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #281 on: March 31, 2012, 06:44:50 pm »
Osage, even after removing the scales there is a waxy film that remains and you have to scrape that off with your finger. But you will never get all of it and  the problem is that regular finish doesn't adhere very well to this film and results in micro cracks in the finish. The cracks don't affect the performance of a bow at all, but I'm kind of picky about how my finishes look. It used to drive me crazy until I figured out the super glue trick. The super glue permanently fixes the remaining scale fragements in place so they won't be a problem and when covered with a primer coat of shellac, the finish will adhere perfectly - problem solved. Also the superglue helps preserve the original colors of the skins.

Cameroo, I purchased the Titebond CA from Woodcraft. They are a wood working supply chain store.
Gordon

Offline coaster500

« Reply #282 on: March 31, 2012, 07:09:32 pm »
Great build Gordon...

I missed it somewhere....  what are you applying the superglue over the skins with?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #283 on: March 31, 2012, 07:42:15 pm »
Thanks Gordon.  Your attention to detail is amazing.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gordon

« Reply #284 on: March 31, 2012, 08:01:22 pm »
Coaster, to apply the super glue I use a sheet of cotton cloth that I have folded over several time. I soak the cloth with super glue then quickly swipe it over the limbs. The superglue will dry almost instantly.
Gordon