Author Topic: rawhide and knots  (Read 1646 times)

Offline rkeltner

rawhide and knots
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:21:50 am »
i have a piece of osage with quite a bit of reflex that i'm going to back with rawhide. it has a knot in the last 10 inches of the limb, and i was wondering if it would be wise to further reinforce it with sinew, or would it be ok to just trust the rawhide? oh, yeah, i filed most of the knot down to back level. i'll try to get a picture for those who would like to see.

Offline Dazv

Re: rawhide and knots
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:33:58 am »
i think the rawhide will be just fine as that part of the bow wont be bending to much. Say that doing a wrap of sinew over the top of  the rawhide can't hurt.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:38:35 am »
How long is the bow and how much reflex is in it? Pics will help. Please show a full side view of the reflex and a good pic of the knot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

young indian12

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:01:01 pm »
I have not done lots of back ing so don't just use my ifo. All of the knots that i have not wrapped did not bother me, but did mess the tiller up. So go ahead and wrap it just for security.
 have fun!!

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 01:34:17 am »
it's short, at about 60" reflex is running about 3", and pics will be next week....she-who-must-be-obeyed has a standing rule...the garage is off limits on the weekend (in all fairness, we came up with that rule together. my garage is correctly nicknamed 'the black hole'! things, and that includes, me go in and take foever to come out. some things are never seen again!!!)

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:43:47 pm »
pics of bow

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:50:45 pm »
more pics