Author Topic: florida python pictures  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Parnell

florida python pictures
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:33:45 am »
I hadn't seen these yet.  Sent by a park ranger I know down here.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: florida python pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:36:52 am »
That will help control the overpopulation of deer.   Kind of scarry. Thanks, Steve. Cool pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:42:06 am »
WOW,Man what a snake. yips :o :o
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:50:22 am »
That's one big critter..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:00:37 pm »
You should get the skin, there just might be enough to back one of fishhead telephone post war bows >:D
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:28 pm »
Wow, that's a big'un.  My four year old said, "somethin dead inside of somethin dead, I bet that smells bad".  ;D and I bet it did. dpgratz  Gotta watch your kids w/ someting like that slitherin around.  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
Mmm hmmm.  I live in a neighborhood in the west coast corridor between I 75 and hwy. 41 where everyone is...yea. ::)
But, there the canal that feeds out of the glades is all of 80 yards or so from the house.  I wonder how long it will be before I see a python in the neighborhood.  I've already seen them maybe 12 miles inland.
1’—>1’

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:32:44 pm »
Those pictures are flying all around the net.  I saw them last week on a different forum.  The conversation quickly turned from the snake to the young woman watching them cut it open.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 04:37:15 pm »
 Kinda makes you think when you sit down under that tree, in the dark come Turkey season. I read a report from the University of N. C. last week that says they expect to see them as far north as S.C. and Ga. in the future. They said they will survive the cold weather by hybernating in barns, sheds culverts and caves.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:09 pm »
A Florida researcher has been doing road counts of wildlife in that part of the country for quite a while.  He reports 98% reduction in raccoons, 100% of opossums, 80-something reduction in bobcats, and 90-something reduction of deer just in the last 10 years.  Florida has now banned the import of most snakes but are allowing people who own them to trade/swap/sell their current stock.   The pet trade in Florida says these snakes are not to blame for the lack of small, medium, and large mammals in the python infested zone.

Really?  I'll give 'em $1,000 to go camping out there for a weekend if they will take their kids, too.  Something tells me that money is safer than Fort Knox. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 06:06:40 pm »
Heck I'd love to go Python hunting...
But I hear you have to have a special license to catch 'em...

Anybody tried Chicken Fired Python yet?
With all the Roundups going on for useful species like Rattlesnakes you'd figure someone would start having a Python Roundup in south Florida.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 06:16:38 pm »
Once upon a time they would have offered bounty on them, now they want to charge you for a license to help them fix the problem. 

Considering the size of that snake, I bet you could get a good 50 lbs of lean meat from it!   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 06:53:17 pm »
The only way I'd hunt one of those beasts is from a helicopter a solid 20 above the ground... >:D >:D >:D I'm cool with gators, frogs, spiders, ect. but there is something about snakes that freaks me out....   ;D Haha...  Still that sucker sure would back a bunch of bows....

Jon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 09:32:03 pm »
 The permit is $25 and the first year everybody bought permits and not a single snake was harvested. They are tasty, a little chewy, though. My Buddy that does tattoo's traded a Tat' for a sixteen footer a guy had raised for about ten years. As soon as it was confirmed it was the new owner's my Buddy stomped the head to the guys horror. The next day he skinned and tanned the hide and we had a cook out. Big chunks of tough meat on the grill. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:58:34 pm »
Wow :o  Incredible. Thanks for sharing!