Author Topic: 66" Oregon Ash 70?# at 28"  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

66" Oregon Ash 70?# at 28"
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:57:20 am »
This is a 66" flatbow made of a quarter of a 6-7 inch diameter Oregon ash log. There were a lot of pin knots but it's holding up pretty well.  First experience with a heat gun, and I had to 'save' the bottom limb by re-heating and recurving to compensate for a weak spot so as not to lose poundage. It is 1 3/4 at the fades tapering to just under 3/4 at the tips, fairly uniform 3/8 thick.  Giving it to my cousin for his birthday.  Tiller is close enough, he's getting real antsy  ;D  I could probably have worked the tips down more but it doesn't have too much handshock.  This is a sweet wood, I plan to try a paddle bow from it soon.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 66" Oregon Ash 70?# at 28"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:34:07 am »
How about a full draw, you guys scare me with the abrupt fads and the shelf cut
in's ,I guess they are working ???  just had to many early on give trouble there. He should like that,Ash makes a good bow.Congrats. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »
I'll post one once the finish dries, gonna put a leather wrap on the handle today too.  It seems to work, first one I've tried the shelf on I usually shoot off the hand but he was complaining so there ya go :)  Thanks Pappy!

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:46:48 pm »
Really nice looking bow I like that alot. I really like how you did that handle. Looks good.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:54:43 pm »
good looking bow,doesn't look like it took any set either,my ash(white) bows are always good for 2" of set!  Lets see the draw pics :) Ron

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:17:59 pm »
Nice bow.  I'm sure your cousin will enjoy it.  Full draw pix would be nice to see.

I've never worked on Ash for a bow wood.  Does it have a problem with taking too much set after being shot in?

BTW - It's always interesting to see the shop spaces in the backgrounds of the bow pix.  We all make bow shop space out of whatever we can don't we!  (I have an old dresser for a tool chest too.  It works fine.)  :)

Offline Lone500

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »
i can find room to work on stuff. room to store extra staves and such is a real headache atm. gotta build a shed or something.
Leon      Saluda, NC