Author Topic: Bow backing  (Read 2297 times)

Offline blackpanem

Bow backing
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:32:05 pm »
im making a hickory bow and its not looking like its going to take much to draw and im wondering how to back it? i can not find any sites or videos of how to back it. do i just glue it on or what? im going to try to use bamboo but if thats difficult for a beginner please tell me. thanks

Offline paulsemp

Re: Bow backing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »
I would not back it now. Cut your losses and start a new one. When gluing bamboo or a wood backing on, I do it right away as soon as I have the core reduced enough to pull it into what ever kind of reflex you want. There can be alot to doing a wood backing. I would check out the "bowyers bibles" tons of good info. I could only imagine someone on here as done a build-a-long.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »
You could try a few layers of sinew.  That might ad a few pounds.  I know there are youtube videos on how to do that.  PatB has some good sinew info and pictures on his winter project post.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:25 pm »
how long is it? whats the weight and draw your at now? is there any reflex and whats the staves side profile? hows the tiller look? got any pics? answers to these questions will help us help you better?  otherwise its all speculation....details man..details ;)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:31:18 pm »
As Blackhawk said more info would help us help you..If the bow is long enough you could pike it...Cut equal lengths off each end,making the bow shorter and adding draw weight....roughly 2 pounds an inch on both limbs.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:32:45 pm »
well i already cut some off because it got way too thin. i really want to keep this bow because  i have no idea where i can find another stave, as not too many usuable trees grow around here

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:25:34 pm »
I don't know where "around here" is, but you would probably be pleasantly surprised at what is useable and nearby .  I do think you should keep trying on the one you're working on. If for nothing else than the experience and knowledge you will gain. However, you should find out what's nearby that you can use and get some staves curing so they will be ready when you are.   Josh

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 09:10:39 pm »
i literally go out and check things out once a week. i found a really small hickory sapling and that was it. of course its way too thin to use. but i also found a medium sized hickory but its very close to houses so i cant cut it down.