Author Topic: Building a Knapping Pit  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Building a Knapping Pit
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:30:30 pm »
I am in the planning stages of building a knapping 'pit'. My question is if you use anything special to build in the base 'floor'. I was thinking about some sand then thought the neighborhood cats would think it is a giant litterbox.
I am just wondering what others have done/used if anything.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Building a Knapping Pit
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:03:37 pm »
I throw a tarp down wherever I want to knapp.  Every month or so I have a friend help me pick up the corners and we empty it into a garbage can.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:10:32 pm »
Most knapping pits I've seen had a few inches at least of debatage for a floor. I think all you need is a roof and something to contain the floor!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:15:29 pm »
I have those parts planned, But I figure it will take awhile for the debatage to build up if I am the only one knapping. I plan on putting a 'growth barrier' in the floor to stop weeds and such from comming up. I was trying to figure out something to put over it. About the best I have come up with is crushed rock, not river gravel.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:18:14 pm »
How about a layer of wood shavings  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:05:08 am »
 If you don't plan on knapping much, Round-Up works ???. And if you are just starting out and you have money and a lot of trade goods for rock it won't take you long to build up a layer of Debutage. :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:15:41 am »
Stop by the house and I'll give ya few buckets of chips to get your floor started   8)
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:39:56 am »
You will need to contain it,I built the one at TwinOaks years ago,all I needed was one Classic and I feel sure nothing will ever grow there again. ;D ;D it's at least 6 inches deep in debre,I dug it out  about 6 or 8 inches to start with and started with a gravel floor. :) It has been expanded twice since then and empty a few times also. For personal use I am sure you won't have that problem. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:43:39 am »
That sounds familiar Pappy. Mine has been shoveled out a few times over the years and piled up elsewhere. Nothin fancy just rocks and debitage. Everybody just learned to wear shoes around my fair weather knapping area ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:20:09 pm »
The Twin Oaks knapping floor filled up mquite quickly. Probably the only dry spot there a few years ago. Good drainage!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 03:18:11 pm »
I dug it out  about 6 or 8 inches to start with and started with a gravel floor. :)

Thanks Pappy! That is what I was asking. I know it will eventually get covered with flakes, breaks, & blood. But I want to start of with a good base.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:45:35 pm »
Mine is near the fire pit. Never had problems with weeds cause the sun won't penetrate through all the debitage over the last 5 years. Dogs and kids have learned to steer clear of it unless they are knapping also- kids that is. Chickens on the other hand pick through it. Like Hillbilly, flip flops or bare feet works for me. Make it to suit you!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956