Author Topic: Can I salvage this Osage bow with rawhide backing?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline mississippidave

Can I salvage this Osage bow with rawhide backing?
« on: February 02, 2012, 07:20:53 pm »
Hey guys....I was just looking at an osage selfbow I started last year from a stave I got from Malcolm Parker.  The stave was very straight with few knots and natural reflex ...a dream....however, the rings are super tiny 1/32" to 1/64" and I was unable to get it down without violating one.  I got frustrated and put it up...After looking at it last night I think that I may try a rawhide backing..Design would be a regular flatbow 64" long 1.25" or so  at the flares with a 1 inch handle.  say 50lbs @26....Ideas?

Offline Lone500

Re: Can I salvage this Osage bow with rawhide backing?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 07:23:24 pm »
im new at this and ive never worked osage as it doesnt grow near me.

but from what ive heard the small ringed osage is kind of inferior stuff. Guess it could be used but it would probably be best to rawhide it whatever you make out of it
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:29:46 pm »
I've backed osage with rings that thin and it works good. Silk is a good backing as well for that job.I like it because it's so light,it does'nt seem to affect performance at all.

JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:34:48 pm »
I've never seen a difference in bows made with thin vs. thick ringed osage, except for the time it takes to chase the ring.  Pete's right, rawhide or silk should protect the back just fine.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:37 pm »
From my experience I find thin ringed osage to have more zip. I generally back it with rawhide for protection.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lone500

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 07:54:54 pm »
seems some of you guys seriously believe in backing bows.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »
seems some of you guys seriously believe in backing bows.

Only when necessary to protect or save a bow.  If the bow has a defect and I think it might break, is a gift where I want to be certain it won't break, or will be used in an atmosphere where it could be abused, overdrawn etc, then I back it.  Otherwise I'd rather not have a backing.  Unbacked bows are lighter, lower maintenance and cheaper/easier to make.  I back about a third of what I make.

Edit...the other time I back a bow is when I'm pushing the envelope with the design, ie. narrow limbs, very short bow, etc.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:13 pm »
hey Dave,good to hear from you buddy.i can't wait to see you and Malcolm at the classic.you guys are going to make it i hope?i haven't heard from Tim in awhile.anyway i might have some rawhide for you to back that bow with.i'll have to check.i know i have some sinew.nothing wrong with backing one if you gotta.it will add a little zing and piece of mind.get with me brother,you have my email.see you in the spring,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:15:41 am »
I would probably back it but I would try really hard to chase one ring before I backed it,It can be done ,just be careful and use a scraper.Osage don't fair as well as some woods with ring violations in my experience ,especially if it is in a hard working area of the limb.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mississippidave

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:45:56 pm »
Thanks for the replies fellas!  Howdy Steve!  Clay Massey gave me a good piece of whitetail rawhide.  I scraped the back down  as good as I could to one ring, still several violations.  I'll try to take a pic of how tiny these rings actually are.  My rule doesn't have graduations that small.  Anyway, I plan to glue it up this weekend per TBB and tiller the bow on out.  Me and Malcolm will definately be at the Classic early to do the selfbow challenge again and cook in some dutch ovens.  Can't wait!

Offline seabass

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 06:10:42 pm »
Dave i will be there on the 27th of april.i am riding down with Bear this year.i will be glad not to stay in the tent this year.tell Malcolm i said hey and if he wants to make me one of those great neck knives i wouldn't mind lol.see you guys there,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 12:49:25 am »
Look forward to seeing ya again!
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee