Author Topic: My number one son cought a pig today.UPDATED with pic of catch dog in riot gear  (Read 9887 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: My number one son cought a pig today.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 12:37:11 am »
I had a friend in Savannah that caught hogs to supliment his income. If you were having a BBQ you place your order with him 2 weeks ahead of time. He'd catch the hog, pen it and feed it soured corn until BBQ time then he'd kill it and cook it for his cliant. The soured corn was to rid the hog of parasites and eliminate any gamey flavor. There are plenty of hogs along the Savannah River and surroundingf swamps.
  The largest one I ever heard of from around there and saw a shoulder mount was over 600#. It was on the wall in a firecracker stand on Hwy. 17 north of Savannah in SC.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 12:39:17 am »
very cool.i also want to see the dogs all suited up.we don't have the hogs here.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Lone500

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 02:57:47 am »
Justin you usually want to take em live if your not eating right away. pig spoils FAST.

and Pat wow thats huge. largest id heard of was in the 500 range and thats still biggern hell. especially when i start thinking and compare it to my 160. but i figure if its 300#+ its probably gonna be kinda tough to chew on.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 03:36:17 am »
Man, thats a nice catch!!  Wish we had a hog problem around here. 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 07:08:37 am »
Congrats to him,nice pig. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 09:27:48 am »
Justin he sells to the folks who do hunts in a fenced enclosure and for BBQ. Also the size of the hog and the color darker the beter black brings the most money. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 09:28:30 am »
Oh to be young again !
That boar would eat me for lunch as slow as I am now a days!
Thanks for sharing the joys of youth with us !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline cracker

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 09:31:37 am »
You got it guy they are entertaining to watch until the dogs get a grip the boys stand around with a hand on a tree limb if the hog runs their way they pop up in a tree they look like the little pop up dols they used to give kids for party favors. Ron

Offline nmcnaughton

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 09:37:15 am »
there are a few wild pigs in Michigan now. how many states have a pig problem, and do pigs affect the deer heard.

Offline cracker

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 09:49:37 am »
I don't know how many states but hogs will catch kill and eat a fawn.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 11:29:08 am »
Nice pig, but I don't see why you would catch them and kill them later when it is so much safer to kill them now.
Live food does not spoil,,,,,,,,,,, ;)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 12:15:21 pm »
Justin he sells to the folks who do hunts in a fenced enclosure and for BBQ. Also the size of the hog and the color darker the beter black brings the most money. Ron
I wondered if he was selling them to hunting ranches, that is the only reason to keep one alive.
I know live meat doesn't spoil, but we shoot deer all the time, you just have to take care of them to prevent spoilage.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 12:51:43 pm »
Justin, it sounds like they castrate them before they release them.
  Down South lots of folks catch hogs to eat or sell.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 12:55:09 pm »
In GA it is my understanding that the only way they can be legally released is in a fenced area otherwise they must be killed. I could be off on this point as I have not researched the law. Ron

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 01:03:53 pm »
In TX, once a pig is in your possession they're either to be killed  immediately or taken alive to a facility to where they will be killed.  There is a provision for boar to be sold to fenced in hunting areas, but not sows.  Castrating boar (to create a barr) used to be common practice down here but current laws forbid it.  Some people make decent money trapping and selling wild hogs down here, but the prices have been poor lately.  It shuts down completely in the summer as it's too hot.

George
St Paul, TX