Author Topic: Fingers crossed, First bow is taking shape(pic sorta heavy)  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Fingers crossed, First bow is taking shape(pic sorta heavy)
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:16:30 pm »
I shaved the crack down that formed on/because of a very high crown and cut the crown down and the bow will be backed with rawhide sent to me by turtlecreek. I cracked the tip while flipping it but had extra material so shaved it down bow was left with very little material so i glued on some Osage patches, I still need to shape the osage patch and glue the rawhide on but this is it so far, sorry that my explanation is so short, there is a lot more to the story but i have homework that needs doing :'(
P.S. The bow is ironwood/musclewood
Wish I could get a shot of the bow bending on the tree but I still haven't glued on the rawhide
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:36:08 am by Youngboyer »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Fingers crossed, First bow is taking shape
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »
Looks like you got a start there, dont be afraid to ask questions were here for ya :D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: Fingers crossed, First bow is taking shape
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:32:04 pm »
I just wish that I didn't have 2 back it so I could try for a future self BOM so I don't have to compete against some of these crazy multi layer bows and horn bows.Also, Osage belly patches are best because they are good in compression like yew.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:50:11 am by Youngboyer »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Fingers crossed, First bow is taking shape(pic sorta heavy)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »
Looks like you got a good start on that one,looking forward to seeing more. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good