Author Topic: Obsidian Newbie (Mexican Green and Purple and Others)  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Obsidian Newbie (Mexican Green and Purple and Others)
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:16:44 pm »
After sitting down with George and watching him do indirect percution, it was like a light bulb went off...
Maybe a 40 to 60 watter in my case... :)
But I see the potential.
Now I see a workable method for controlled thinning.
Inexperience is still claiming a lot of width and length, but I now see room for personal improvement.

Thank You George!!!  :)

The short one is 106 grains and the longer crooked eared one is 131 grains.

And this Obsidian showed me the way, in finding a finish for my pressure flaker and notching tool... A+ under superglue...  >:D
I hope the red stays bright with time...

-gus
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:53:02 pm by Gus »
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Mexican Green and Purple
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:35:50 pm »
Super cool, looking really good Gus...wish I had a warm body who knapped that lived close, it would HAVE to speed up my learning curve.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:01:24 am »
Hey Gus, looking good there.  And the finish on those pressure flakers....wow!!  Mine are so embarrassed now...  You left some obsidian debitage on my tarp I think I'll make a couple bird points out of (or at least try)  You know how much I love obsidian, but the points are sure pretty.  Did you get a chance to do any more spalling?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:31:22 am »
Thank You Fells...

Yes Sir George... I kinda like the looks of "A Positive" (my blood) on the wood. :)
Shanked a fat flak of Obsidian into the end of my thumb and had a time getting it to stop bleeding.
So I painted my tools with it and then sealed it, the wood and my thumb, under five or six coats of superglue.
I hope it stays red... don't want to have to reapply the finish anytime to soon...  :o

Haven't had a chance to spall any since I got home.
Wasn't planning to knapp at all for a few days as I have other projects that need doing.
But the call was too strong. And I wanted to reinforce what I learned in your shop... :)

I hear ya Lee... having the chance to sit with George and Tower has been a blessing not lost on me.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:10:13 am »
Doing well gus! Remember the black stains on our pads & tools are badges we ware in the struggle to better ourselves in the art of flint Knapping. Self preservation.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:16:39 am by Tower »
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:11:32 pm »
Looking good Gus! I haven't tried that Jackcrafty style of secondary but will most likely in the future. Looks interesting.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:21:32 pm »
Way to go gus.  Feels good no matter the wattage when a bulb comes on.  ;D dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:35:32 pm »
Looking good Gus! I haven't tried that Jackcrafty style of secondary but will most likely in the future. Looks interesting.

Yet another reason or us to get together, not that I'm in Patrick's league.  Now that I have my new truck, I'm thinking about road tripping your way.  I'll PM you and check schedules. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:39:55 am »
Come on along George. We'll trade secrets and find some rocks ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:46 pm »
Them points look great!  I love the way obsidian looks, I should have some arriving in the mail any day now.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Gus

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:51:11 pm »
I've only been messing with Obsidian for a week or two...
But I get the vibe that this stuff was Right Up The Aztec' Alley.
Even taking some percautions, this is some bloody stuff...
I think I can finally release my leaches as their services are no longer needed.  :)

Here is my first blade attempt, resulting in a point and a short blade.
I tried to take too big a bite and it broke... This was from a slab of Triple Flow.

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Obsidian Newbie (Mexican Green and Purple and Others)
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 02:58:25 pm »
Wow, you're improving fast now Gus.  Very nice work.  I break nearly all the large obsidian points I try too.  As you know, I much prefer the cherts.  Those are beauties for sure.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 07:43:33 pm »
Good looking beginnings. Really nice save on the broken blade-very nice point. Keep at it, looks like you're a quick learner.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gus

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 04:43:00 pm »
Thank You Fells...

Just about got the stubby blade hafted in antler.
Have to step back from knapping for a moment to get some work done in other areas.
Got some Trades working that need to be wrapped up so I can focus on the 2012 Bow Trade.  :)

Regards,

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 05:24:30 pm »
Finally finished this Little Triple Flow Blade.
Hopefully it will be the first of many!  :)
It is a Long Way from perfection, but it does cut.

Its hafted in Fallow Deer Antler.
The Sinew just catches a small Obsidian projection just outside the antler.
Used modern CA glue on this one as I am still working up to making my first batch of Resin Glue.

The sheath is just standard 4oz cow hide with a medium brown stain and a gum finish.
I may still throw some Super Sheen on it before waxing.

Thanks,
-gus

Conroe, TX