Author Topic: tru oil  (Read 3334 times)

Offline ojibwatbowyer

tru oil
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:42:59 am »
Does anybody have some tru-oil or tung-oil to trade? (Canada only) I can trade 10lbs of various flints. Or can someone let me know where i can get some?

Offline nlester

Re: tru oil
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:20:08 pm »
Try a gun dealer/shop.  Thats where I get mine, or you can order it online.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:58:08 pm »
Try a paint store for Hornby's Tung Oil or a similar product. Tru-Oil is a linseed oil product with Japan dryer and other ingredients added. Maybe you can duplicate it yourself.
  Another old bow finish is called French polish. It consists of linseed oil and shellac. I believe it was added alternately to the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 03:06:51 am »
I can take a run around town and track some down if you like, i wouldnt mind gettin a bottle myself :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:05:46 am »
you can order tru-oil from threeriversarchery.com.tung oil you can get from most hardware stores.both work great.hope this helps,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:54:33 pm »
I can take a run around town and track some down if you like, i wouldnt mind gettin a bottle myself :D

Matt that would be great, i just bought a  tonne of clamps today and yesterday took the draw knife to a hhb log in my dads basement, the log has been sitting for some time down there. Im gonna try heat bending some curve into it. gonna try for a five curve, im pretty sure that stave wont last long, feels soggy when i was working it. but id rather work on it then ruin a good stave, more of an experiment than anything. Oh and what was the name of that lumber yard you got that purple heart log from again?

you can order tru-oil from threeriversarchery.com.tung oil you can get from most hardware stores.both work great.hope this helps,Steve

And Steve, I found some oil today to at the hardware store, i haven't tried 3rivers, because the other place wouldn't ship it international because its flammable.
And thanks everyone else for the tips and advice, I totally forgot about this post ;D

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:37:45 pm »
hey nathan.

looks like i forgot about this post too :) the name of the lumber store is Windsor plywood. its great, the dudes there are cool with the excessive sifting thats required to find the perfect board.  in the words of one of them "you can loiter til 5:30 everynight if you want" :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 12:33:44 pm »
I buy the bigger bottles of Tru-oil off fleabay. The shipping is less than I would spend driving around town looking for the stuff in my fuel guzzling F250.