Author Topic: aquiring permission to take wood  (Read 3320 times)

Offline GaryR

aquiring permission to take wood
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:17:25 pm »
I recently found a large Osage tree I'd like to cut down and haul home. Problem is, I don't want the cops hauling me off. So how do I find out who owns the property so I can ask permission? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: aquiring permission to take wood
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:37:22 pm »
You can get that info at the county courthouse. Have a discription of where the property is(streets, roads, physical address, etc) and the folks at the courthouse should help you find the owner.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:20:14 pm »
That's what I was thinking Pat. That's Dallas county. Now I have to decide if it's worth it. I don't like to go to Dallas and I really don't like to go to the Dallas Co. courthouse. It sure is a nice tree though.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:06:58 pm »
You can probably look up the land and tax records online.  Around here they have an online map with property bounderies marked and the owners name.  Once you find the name they also have the owners addresses.  With our map you can switch it from topographical to satellite image.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:49:12 pm »
Gary, there are 3 or 4 more we can cut where we worked this past weekend.  Just drive over here and we'll knock a tree down and cut it up in an hour or 2.  It's a little further than Dallas for you, but issue free.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline GaryR

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:22:38 pm »
George, I think I will do that. That tree I spotted is about 18" in diameter and I don't have enough friends to get it in my truck anyway.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:34:43 pm »
These are more like 12" diameter trees, but you can pick from several.  Let me know what your schedule is so I can talk to Thomas.  He gave us a lot of grief for only cutting that one clump so I know it's OK.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lone500

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:01:16 pm »
Gary of you cant pick the big sucker up and load it by yourself just wrap a chain around it and drag it home. free bark removal on the way  :P
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »
Lone500, funny you say that, I thought of that to. Bark and sapwood removal, maybe if I take the corners right I can get a ring before splitting.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:53:33 pm »
George I'll see what the wife has planned for Saturday.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 01:39:10 am »
OK.  I'll check with Thomas and see if he's gonna be home.   We could run out to the lease for a quick hog hunt this weekend if you want.  Actually, if you can run out Friday night  we might be able to do both, hogs Friday night and then head back to get osage Saturday.  Maybe that's too much??  Let me know.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline GaryR

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 12:05:08 am »
The wife is a little funny lately, maybe I should hold off until later. I don't want to push my luck.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 12:23:18 am »
Lone500, funny you say that, I thought of that to. Bark and sapwood removal, maybe if I take the corners right I can get a ring before splitting.

Once it's reduced to a growthring, use a small economy car to get it to floor tiller.  Once you hit floor tiller do the finish tillering with a 4 wheeler and final finish by dragging it behind a kid's Big Wheel.  You may be on to something here!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:37 am »
No rush Gary, the trees aren't going anywhere.  Just don't wait till summer.  We cut July4 last year and it was HOT!!!!  Don't want to do that again.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lone500

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 04:05:34 am »
lol you guys are crazy. i wont tell no one tho  :-X
Leon      Saluda, NC