Main Discussion Area > Cave Men only "Oooga Booga"

elder drill

<< < (2/5) > >>

Pat B:
Jamie, What is the wrap on the end of the shaft? Is the horse weed going directly on the fire board or is there a fore shaft?  ERC or Northern White Cedar?    Pat

Hillbilly:
Justin, actually, I find the hand drill a lot easier and less aggravating than a bow drill. I've spun up probably hundreds of coals with a hand drill-once you figure it out, it's pretty easy. Best combo I've found that grows here is a horseweed spindle on a tulip poplar hearthboard.

Far East Archer:
Thats cool! Hey Jamie where can we get one of them power tools? Home Depot??  ;D

-Alex

jamie:
the shaft is elder wrapped with sinew on the end so the plug wont split the shaft when you are applying pressure.
the plug itself is horseweed and the board is erc sapwood. like hillbilly said i prefer the handdrill. the nice thing about this piece is it only requires a short piece for the plug. ive cut golden rod horse weed and mullen stalks green in the morning and by late afternoon spun a fire with em. jim dina showed me this years ago . we dug a willow root from the bank and spun a fire using a plug and the rest of the root as a fire board an hour later. trick with damp wood is taking a minute to just spin the drill, warm it up and push out the moisture, then go for it. if you try the hand drill . first you should just practice spinning to get the feel and toughen up the hands. plus it will help build up the wierd muscles you use when doing this. peace

Kegan:
SWEET. But you make it look too easy ;D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version