Author Topic: Tanning otter pelts  (Read 7782 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Tanning otter pelts
« on: February 04, 2012, 02:19:07 pm »
  I just acquired two case skinned otter pelts.  They are bone dry and have been laying around a buddy of mine's shop for a year or more.  He left them stretched around a board.  I have it in mind to tan them, hair on, and attempt a quiver or two.  I have never tanned a hide or made a quiver so this is all new ground for me.  I would appreciate any advice, instruction or tips that any of you more advanced cave men can offer.  I am in need of a more traditional quiver.....  putting my homemade cane arrows with turkey fletching and trade points in my nylon, mossyoak camo patterned belt quiver just seems wrong!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline aaron

Re: Tanning otter pelts
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:17:36 pm »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:10 am »
Thanks for the reply.  Your thread gave me food for thought.  I will have to begin with a shop vac on mine...  My buddy left them stretched over a board in his workshop where they got lots of dust, sawdust and dirt on them.  They are quite dry now.  After that, I plan to start with a good shampooing.  I will let you know how this progresses..... 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline cutfinger

• In God we trust
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 08:29:17 pm »
Bring them back to fresh with water, (soak in river) then brain them with fresh brains mixed well with water, into a paste, rub well into the hide, the flesh side, a long time because it must go all the way through, remember this only works if it is fleshed well (all meat, fat removed ALL,all, ALL ) now work it almost dry, work,work,work hard and long labor, tough going do not stop until it is almost dry, use a rope, stake of wood, any thing that will keep the fibers moving until it is almost dry. and insert a plug of wood that is the shape you want the quiver to look like, you are getting parflesh, a brained but still firm hide,smoke if you want it to be waterproofed,a labor intensive job, but well worth it. Deer, pig, or cow brains will work. write back if you need any info.