Author Topic: Tillering Methods  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Tillering Methods
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 02:42:12 pm »
  Like most of the others I get the limb bending evenly. I like to chase the belly one growth ring at a time floor tillering the bow as I get closer keeping the belly thickness as even as I can and then once I get to low brace just touch everything up.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 04:28:45 pm »
I think you can only look at the whole bow, and slowly bring the whole thing into shape.
how can you look at one area? Often to fix one area you have to work on an entirely different piece of the bow QED.
It's like drawing a picture, you have to sketch the overall thing and then build up the level of detail over the whole work at an even level else you end up with a tiny drawing in the corner of the page , or one part out of proportion to the rest.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 07:20:08 pm »
To each his own. See Pearlie. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »
I love it Jawge. We all make beautifully tillered bows, but we cant agree on the right way to tiller them! That is what I love most about building bows and talking with people that build bows. These sites would be boring if there where only one way to do it all!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 02:53:45 am »
Seems to me, all thats been said  would point to tillering being in the realm of art. Even though there is science behind it.
I would call you all artists  ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 04:37:58 am »
i like to take the tillering stick off the wall and tiller on the stick. idk why i just prefer it. you get to watch it even out and make corrections on the spot.
thats just me though.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline gmc

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 10:34:43 am »
I took the advice of a very good Bowyer one time and the first place I start with a limb bending is the middle 3rd at floor tiller. Once I get pretty close to the draw weight I'm looking for with both limbs being consistant in bend, then I move to the tiller tree. I will worry a little more with how the inner 3rd is bending at that point, but I will always have a good reference taper prior to starting. As already said, regardless of how much fuss you spend measuring, you will still end up some place else, but without some reference to start with, the wood takes too much stress trying to point it out for you.

The closer you can get to the final dimensions upfront prior to bending, the better your result will be. I know thats easier said than done but building a lot of bows using the same design you get pretty good at just feeling the weight of the wood and knowing how to design the bow.

Art, that's a good tip on scraping at brace. I came very close to cutting a string watching it unravel like a time bomb ready to explode. It didn't, but I figured out real quick to change my direction with the scraper. If I'm not mistaken the string has more tension at brace than at full draw not taking much to put you into a bad situation.

Central Kentucky

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 04:02:54 pm »
gmc, that's one reason why I unstring depending on where I am in the building process and what area needs to be scraped. If I am working the fades I'll leave it strung. That's about it. I hit the string with a scraper once and ended up with one strand left. That's what I get for using sharpened tools. That must be  one reason some bowyers use dull tools like dull dknives. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline gmc

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 04:15:43 pm »
I hear ya Jawage.

With all the pressure on the string, it doesn't take much.

Yes, working the fade areas only would be a best practice for sure.
Central Kentucky

Offline artcher1

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 04:34:09 pm »
After the first time you cut your string you'll learn to pad the upper side of your scraper ;D. Believe me, cutting a string in this fashion is much less dramatic than having it your hands at full draw and it letting go :laugh:. Now who hasn't had that happen :'(!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 05:22:48 pm »
I had it happen once, Art. I had just finished scraping a bow using all stone tools. I even felled it with a stone axe. Now I know, from what I've read on archery forums these days, some wouldn't hesitate to thrown on a fast flight string. I didn't even want to use  B50 so I twisted a string out of hardware store hemp. I shot it a good 50 times and then the string broke. I've never even strung it up since that. :( Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 05:24:25 pm »
Pretty sure someone on here said that "The sooner you get it looking like a bow, the sooner it will start acting like one."
Combine that with tapering both planes and your already there. Chasing a ring on the belly or more of a feather of rings dependant on the bow is what i also aim for.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 05:51:38 pm »
I had it happen once, Art. I had just finished scraping a bow using all stone tools. I even felled it with a stone axe. Now I know, from what I've read on archery forums these days, some wouldn't hesitate to thrown on a fast flight string. I didn't even want to use  B50 so I twisted a string out of hardware store hemp. I shot it a good 50 times and then the string broke. I've never even strung it up since that. :( Jawge

I think that's why my draw is soooooooooooo short today George, LOL!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 08:20:25 pm »
Wel mine is a not so hefty 26 in draw, Art. Jawge
Set Happens!