Author Topic: Help with the history of neo primitive/traditional archery in the US  (Read 2723 times)

Offline brunester

Hi Guys,
Im a long time lurker, so this is probably my first post.
I am a graduating History major, and i thought it might be cool to write my final paper on archery.

Im wondering if you guys could help me out.

I am trying to determine where and how the traditional (including primitive) archery movement started up again in the US.
That is to say, why did traditional archery emerge again and where did it emerge?

if you are willing,
Could you give me a brief blerb about when and where your first primitive archery experience was?
Also, did you practice other forms of archery at that time? what kind?

if you have any tips or directions to point me in that would be greatly appreciated too.
Right now i am reviewing The Witchery of Archery by Thompson.
I have also started looking at Dr. Popes work with Ishi.

Thank you!
-Eric
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:43:19 pm by brunester »

Offline JO_EZ

Re: Help with the history of neo primitive/traditional archery in the US
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »
Hey, Eric,
I'll start you off with my story and thoughts...

My first bow was a solid fiberglass deal given to me by a neighbor. I had a miss matched set of arrows and couldn't hit a thing, but loved to watch them fly. Then in 1980, when I was 13, my cousin told me about a sale at a local sports shop on Ben Pearson compound kits. So, I went and bought one. I loved that thing and shot it nearly to death. When I was in college, I began to get frustrated with the compound because it seemed the answer to every problem that I encountered was to go spend $70 on something. I thought about native people and how they got by with a much simpler approach to archery and began to get interested in traditional archery. In 1991 my wife bought me a long bow for our first Christmas. Now, while I still do have a compound, pretty much all of my shooting and hunting is with that long bow or ones that I have made.

I think you may be able to track the resurgence of traditional archery by observing the circulation trends of this magazine (Primitive Archer) and Traditional Bowhunter magazine. As well as talking to the administrators of this web site and maybe TRAD GANG as well. An interview with the editors of one of these publications would get you a long way down the road. Also, take a look at the Traditional Bowyers Bibles and the events leading up to the publication of the first volume and the popular demand for subsequent volumes and you will get a lot of clues as to what was going.

This sounds like an interesting topic. Post the paper when you get it done.

- Doyle

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:16:49 pm »
My first experience was this... My son was 10 at the time and was screaming bloody murder for a bow and arrow for Christmas, I had lost my job "lack of work" and things were tight to say the least. Miraculously there was an article in field and stream at the exact right moment so I read the article and proceded to make a bow. It wasn't much to look at but it put a bow in a kids hand and bought me some peace. I wasn't interested in archery after that for many years until this one day when we were cleaning out his closet after he had moved out and I found the little bow and bang the bug bit and its been chewing ever since. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:49:36 pm »
I think you would have to take a look at the tbb vol1234.  If you contact pappy he could put you in touch with many of the old timers that helped save this art. I think your paper is a good idea and much has been written about the subject but I think that twinoaks has an important part that it is now playing.  That place is a center of gravity for neoprims and helps distribute volumes of knowledge in a very traditional way HANDS-ON. This hands on learning is photographed and then placed on the net for the world to see.  The difference is that the net can't replace to One on one time required to really learn this old/ new way of making things.
   In the 1950s and 1960 crafts emerged and had a Renaissance and at the same time people every where were looking to reconnect with the man made object.  Two things to note 1st the material is celebrated in craft and the human touch remains.  This is significant because the country was moving faster toward mass production and the modern and futuristic products were visually souless because of a lack of uniqueness.  It is hard to say you have a unique mixer when 50 are on the shelf.
If you turn the clock back 300 years you would see many handmade objects and many people capable of making objects.  As machines make more and more of our products we become disconnected from the object its self.  A handmade cup is different from a mass produced walmart solo cup.  I believe your paper should talk about why people are doing this.  There is somehing really cool about walking up to shoot your bow and knowing that there is not another one like it in the world. Today it is seen as weird to build a bow when you can just buy one.  Most people have no idea how a bow works and that is the true wonder and soul of archery.  People have become disconnected and it is joyful to be connected because in that you find meaning that leads to a greater respect for people and nature.      I don't know how else to explain this. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:59:51 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 03:58:35 pm »
good advice so far-
yes indeed if pappy is willing, you will gain a wealth of knowledge there

if you peruse other archery sites you may come across a fella named wade phillips.
he has an exhaustive collection of trad gear and knows as much as  anyone alive today regarding trad archery history.

it appears to me the "renaissance" of archery(bows and flintknapping) in north america started with ishi
who influenced pope, young and compton who influenced fred bear
and the rest, as they say, is history...

all you need to know has been published here and there and everywhere
its a wonderful "sport" with a rich history(for some its sport for many here its a way of life)
have fun!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline brunester

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:15:31 pm »
Thank you for the replies so far.
I am looking into contacting the editors
and if anyone has an email/something for  wade phillips that would be awesome.

also,
I found this site: http://www.archerylibrary.com
which some of you  might find interesting.

Ill update this when I have formed some more opinions on this topic :)

Thank you!
-Eric

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:18:54 pm »
You really did a good job starting with Thompson's "The Witchery of Archery", and Dr. Pope's story of his friendship with Ishi.  You might add Howard Hill's book "Hunting the Hard Way".

I consider those the three Gospels of the movement. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.