Author Topic: bad news-cwd found in missouri  (Read 2908 times)

Offline sadiejane

bad news-cwd found in missouri
« on: February 03, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Bevan R.

Re: bad news-cwd found in missouri
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 03:54:36 pm »
OK, I have a dumb question...

What about using brains for tanning? Is this an issue? I live in Nebraska (one of the states that has documented CWD).

Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »
Bevan, I believe it is an issue!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 04:14:10 pm »
Is it 'permitted' to use pork brains when tanning deer? I know there is 'mad cow' which is why I did not mention bovine.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 04:18:25 pm »
Down lower on that link there is a pdf about cwd and it said that there is no evidence of it transferring to humans.  It did say that you way want to wear rubber gloves when working with the meat.  I most cases you first cook the brains so maybe that helps also.  I will read a little more and see it they die when heated. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 05:24:05 pm »
Hmmm seems like it was first noticed in a lab herd.  Anyway a cow can get it if it is introduced into the spinal fluid but no know case if you eat it.  It has been around for a long time so a lot of people have eaten cwd infected deer.  The world health organization recommend that this meat not be eaten for fear that a strain could become viable in humans.  That makes sense but I bet it had been around for 1000s of years.  The infection may be viable in the soil for years and years waiting to infect again.  They really don't know what to do about it at this point.  If it were on a farm the herd would be killed.  But they are not willing to let us all go out and wipe out the herds now to stop the spread.  Even if we did it would be in the soil and would come back.  So cwd is here to stay.  The states don't want to really talk about it because it is big money (750 million and 11000 jobs).  If you are using brains to tan do not use a needle to inject the fluid into your brain or spine.  I would just use rubber gloves while handling them and press on.  Think about all of the wild game meat processors in this county.  If anyone was going to get sick it would be a person with cuts and sores working in a place like that. If you get infected and get sick the world will have a much bigger problem than deer. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:51:39 pm by iowabow »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:45 am »
I always bring my brains up to a boil after I blend them,don't know if that helps but I think it will kill most bad stuff,I guess you should really use rubber gloves but I never do, I guess if that was all I was doing in a day I might but am usually into a lot of different stuff and it is just to much trouble to put them on and off,I may wished some day I took the trouble. :) :) but of course i don't use the field dressing or skinning critters either. ??? I would say it would be a good idea to use gloves in both cases. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bhenders

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:57 pm »
CWD is caused by prions (proteins that attack the brain). 

These are NOT destroyed by cooking. 

That's what makes them so dangerous.

Prions propagate by transmitting a misfolded protein state. When a prion enters a healthy organism, it induces existing, properly folded proteins to convert into the disease-associated, prion form; the prion acts as a template to guide the misfolding of more protein into prion form. These newly formed prions can then go on to convert more proteins themselves; this triggers a chain reaction that produces large amounts of the prion form.[5] All known prions induce the formation of an amyloid fold, in which the protein polymerises into an aggregate consisting of tightly packed beta sheets. Amyloid aggregates are fibrils, growing at their ends, and replicating when breakage causes two growing ends to become four growing ends. The incubation period of prion diseases is determined by the exponential growth rate associated with prion replication, which is a balance between the linear growth and the breakage of aggregates.[6] (Note that the propagation of the prion depends on the presence of normally folded protein in which the prion can induce misfolding; animals which do not express the normal form of the prion protein cannot develop or transmit the disease.)

This altered structure is extremely stable and accumulates in infected tissue, causing tissue damage and cell death.[7] This structural stability means that prions are resistant to denaturation by chemical and physical agents, making disposal and containment of these particles difficult. Prions come in different strains, each with a slightly different structure, and most of the time, strains breed true. Prion replication is nevertheless subject to occasional epimutation and then natural selection just like other forms of replication.[8] However, the number of possible distinct prion strains is likely far smaller than the number of possible DNA sequences, so evolution takes place within a limited space.

Offline Zach E.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:12:32 pm »
i did some research a while back on cwd and prion diseases in general and one study showed that exposing prion infected tissue to pressures around 100,000 psi destroyed the prions. i can't find the exact link to site it but here is an explanation http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/5479931/ns/today-today_health/t/how-deadly-prions-are-destroyed/

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:55:24 am »
Yep just what I thought bhenders. ;) ;D ;D way to deep for me. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 01:50:15 pm »
Howdy,   Describing CWD and prions can be tough going,   but we all know it's not good news for the deer.   Should it ever spread to people it would be very bad news for them as well.    There is no practical way to make CWD infected tissue non-infective.
I would err on the side of safety and avoid the central nervous tissues (brains) of suspect deer.  (ie. Wear gloves when dressing and butchering and discard the brains and spinal cord.)   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:41 pm »
The report I read said it was in other tissue as well.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 04:26:32 am »
The report I read said it was in other tissue as well.
Well you're right, but the prions are concentrated in nervous tissue.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers