Author Topic: PaperBirch D-bow - tiller help  (Read 9483 times)

Offline ojibwatbowyer

Re: PaperBirch D-bow - tiller help
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 06:58:30 pm »
Matt that bow is sick! Take it in the back yard and take some shots with it, the weather here is good so it must be even better there. I lost a few arrows in the snow bank about a half hour ago myself   ;D

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 11:43:26 pm »
I don't think you need any help with that tiller!  If anything , I need you to teach me to tiller!  Josh

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Re: PaperBirch D-bow - Fret help! :P
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 03:03:22 pm »
So i took this one over to a friends place and sanded it up and got it ready to stain the bone whiteness of the birch, when i noticed a small crack thhat i took to be a tool mark, turns out it is a small fret on each edge right in line with a knot on the upper limb.  I think i caught it early because it is still pretty small. about 1/4 inch on each edge, i did what i could to take a good pic but its so friggin white!
thought it was a wierd place for a fret, i left the interior of each midlimb a little stiff to ease the strain on this kknot in particular.

there was a hazel buildalong a while back where this same thing happened, and he fixed it with a rawhide patch to ease the local compreession.  would this be the best option?? i apologize for not remembering the name of buildalong, it was really good and he deserves credit here ;)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Dazv

Re: PaperBirch D-bow - Fret help! :P
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »
So i took this one over to a friends place and sanded it up and got it ready to stain the bone whiteness of the birch, when i noticed a small crack thhat i took to be a tool mark, turns out it is a small fret on each edge right in line with a knot on the upper limb.  I think i caught it early because it is still pretty small. about 1/4 inch on each edge, i did what i could to take a good pic but its so friggin white!
thought it was a wierd place for a fret, i left the interior of each midlimb a little stiff to ease the strain on this kknot in particular.

there was a hazel buildalong a while back where this same thing happened, and he fixed it with a rawhide patch to ease the local compreession.  would this be the best option?? i apologize for not remembering the name of buildalong, it was really good and he deserves credit here ;)
is this the post???
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.msg66217.html#msg66217

Offline druid

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 04:06:38 pm »
I personally use Marc's bows printed, hanged in my cabin, for model how perfect tiller should look like. Thats good idea.

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 05:27:23 pm »
Dazv -  u bet, thats the one :) Gordon of course!
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 05:37:04 pm »
I just HATE seeing that. Hopefully you can get her moving along again. Nothing worse than thinking you have a good one cooking and then something like that takes your breath away, at least it does mine. Sorry to see it. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 05:57:00 pm »
ya i wasnt too impressed  >:( but these things happen, i have never had to deal with a minor fret b4, all that i have seen were terrible chysalled sections that basically wrote off the bow.  i kinda feel like this might be salvageavable? maybe just wrap the whole knot and 2inches either side.  i have some really thick moose rawhide and some paperthin deer rawhide that i could use, sinew as well.

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 06:05:35 pm »
this is where the knot is located on the limb, i deliberately left it slightly flat in that location :S

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 06:18:54 pm »
I have tighly wrapped silk thread and TBIII around mini fractures before. It stopped them in their tracks and no more formed. The basic idea is to stiffen that tiny area up slightly, it doesnt take much. The silk thread and glue adds more stiffness than you may think. It forces the few inches before and after the fret to work a touch more, alleviating more forming.  An extra thin osage belly lam would also work. Cut a strip 12-14" shorter than your bow and fade it towards the tips. Maybe .060" thick or so.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 07:00:38 pm »
Unfortunate to see that, its a very nice bow. If the draw weight had been lower(40-45#), do you think this still would this have happened? Just curious.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 07:15:59 pm »
PD -  Thanks for the tip, i think that is what i will do :D

Dictionary - I believe that 40-45 would have been just perfect, or an inch extra on each limb......or a knotless stave :P

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 05:39:45 am »
I believe i was the one who noticed it......
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 06:19:27 am »
ahaha hey Mike!

correction.... Baldmoose was the one who noticed the fret :)  Good eye Mike :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 11:08:44 am »
That means Mike gets to keep the bow when your done. Sorry buddy, those are rules.