Author Topic: Can you put rawhide over sinew backing?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Can you put rawhide over sinew backing?
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:44:52 pm »
For extra strength and security can you/should you put rawhide over sinew?... Just wondering
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:23:38 pm by Youngboyer »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline sadiejane

Re: Can you put rawhide over sinew backing?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:55:26 pm »
can speak to the 'extra strength and security' but i know ed scott(owl bows) puts rawhide over most all his sinew backed bows...
wild women don't get the blues

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:23:28 pm »
Very thin rawhide over top sinew is just fine.  BUT you should let it cure for about a month before putting on the rawhide or you may have all of it just get moldy!

The rawhide will soak up some finish such as polyurathane or oil type finishes and help keep the sinew from absorbing moisture, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »
Personally I'd do one or the other. Sinew does the same as rawhide but adds bow performance as long as you use hide glue that shrinks over time. Using both slows down the performance with extra weight. If nothing else, put on about three layers of sinew and watch your poundage go up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:49:27 am »
You are not going to improve upon the strength of sinew by putting rawhide over it, but it will create a better surface on which to paint a design if that is what you want.
Gordon

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 10:33:12 am »
I was also hoping that the rawhide would keep the sinew from being damaged and peeling up
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 10:39:48 am »
A good finish will protect the sinew without the rawhide.
  I built a sinew backed hickory and a raw hide covering. It worked fine but wasn't necessary...except I was copying a bow Jay Massey built.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bolsjedyr

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 06:29:07 pm »
I have seen it done on an old hornbow - it's an antique, so the owner didn't dare shoot it though.
Anyway - I'd go for birch bark for protection - keeps moisture out.
If two men are to compete, it should be in archery. As they face the same direction, trying to accomplish the same goal, it is the most civilized of sports." Confucius

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:11:33 pm »
i am heading out to collect some birchbark for my sinew/yew trade bow, if I fail i will be fine with finishing over the sinew.  :D  it makes an attractive water resistant cover for sinew,  but i would have used rawhide and a design if i had some rawhide thin enough for the job :)

Matt
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"