Author Topic: Mystery wood/Elm  (Read 4485 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Mystery wood/Elm
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »
looking at your pics some more... i bet dollars to pesos it's pecan.  pecan splits clean and sometimes it is marketed right alongside hickory...  If it is pecan, it will make a fine bow.  Pecan resembles hickory but it is a little lighter in weight.  I have built two bows from pecan saplings so far and both have been screamers....  steam bends well. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 11:53:41 pm »
If it split cleanly, you can most definitely rule out elm! Is it ring porous or diffuse porous?  Josh

Offline Lone500

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 01:54:41 am »
i dont know josh. elm is one of those that can split like butter or give you a hernia beating on a wedge. lots of grain variation especially between different elm species.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 02:36:41 am »
Well I certainly can't claim to have tried every elm species in existence . However , every species that I have tried, has the interlocking grain that makes it so difficult to split.  This interlocking grain is also part of what makes elm as tough as it is, sort of its claim to fame.  Just curious, what sort of elm are you splitting like butter?  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 02:50:31 am »
Looking at the back where the bark was pulled it looks more like hic.than elm. Maby pecan like was suggested by someone. When elm was mentioned at first it was because the bark resembles elm but the end was painted.I would like to herein what it is for shure for my own sanity  ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 10:59:44 am »
I still don't know what it is,but I do know its no bow/hard wood! I ether ruined it by letting it stay outdoors to long or its some kind of balsa type wood :(good cordage from the bark tho...!  I'm going to cut another log of it and see if i ruined it or if its just some light weight,brittle wood...oh,and grab some leaves too!!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 11:03:21 am »
I cant get a good focus on the pics so I have stayed out of this till now .
The words being used to describe this sound like your describing a soft maple to me!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !