Author Topic: Met a guy today.(more pic added late 2/2)  (Read 2342 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Met a guy today.(more pic added late 2/2)
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:08:10 pm »
My 4 yr. old got to stay in preshool the whole morning this morning!!  Since we wern't called to come get him early, I took him to get a doughnut and then to the Mathers Museum on the IU campus.  It's in the archeology building.  Has lots of bones and points and stuff like that.  Needless to say, he loved it and we spent about 2 hours in there, pretty long for a 4 yr. old, specially him.  Anywho, I'd heard there was an old indian guy who sometimes knaps under a tree there and when we were leaving, I saw him, and parked again.  Cooper played in the rocks around the building while I got to spend another hour or so introducing myself and watching, and picking his brain.  I had my knapping stuff, so we took a look and he asked if he could "barrow" one of my wine bottle points.  Man, in 5 minutes he had that thing all thinned down and then gave it back.  we traded some stone and I was on my way with an invitation to come back anytime.  I think I'll see if he's there tomorrow, but i'm not taking the kid this time.  >:D  hopin to get my knap back on pretty soon here, I feel like I've been in a rut lately.  Just wanted to tell someone who might care, dpg
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:13:51 am by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

Re: Met a guy today.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:46:38 pm »
That is a great story and cool that cooper was in good sorts to boot.  I realy wish there was someone around here to knap with. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:35 pm »
Yea, that's really cool.  There are people to knap with around here, but everybody's so busy we almost never do. :( :(  I'd love to find an Indian to sit with.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:12:13 am »
Very cool Derik! I've been to the other side of the museum where all of the arrowhead collections are for the different time periods. I never heard about the guy knapping though. That is good timing on your part. The glen black lab has some archeologists that knap, but with different interests than you and I. Makes a big difference to be able to sit and watch in person other knappers.

Take care

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 12:24:06 pm »
Thanks for the replys guys.  He won't be there today, too cool.  He said he knaps in t shirt weather.  The rock breaks best in that weather he said.  He used modern tools and a neoprene hand pad.  When I got home from work lastnight I had a chance to knap a little, this is what I came up with.  Not too bad.  The obs is 71 grains and the other 95 grains.  My wife nearly cut her finger on the side of the white one this morning when I showed her.  That's a good sign, I thought.  Thanks for lookin again, dpgratz

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Met a guy today.(pic added 2/2)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:27:22 pm »
That is coool and everybody needs a little inspiration now and then. Cool points there too!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 03:33:44 pm »
What a cool story man, and some good lookin points.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 03:46:58 pm »
Yep !  I always learn something good sitting in with another knapper.  ' Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:18:31 pm »
Good looking points Derik!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:12:54 am »
Thanks for the replys Folks.  I knocked out two more this afternoon before work playing "dino times" w/ Coops down @ the creek.  I think I learned something yesterday about pressure flaking.  He also said that he works his points "in flux" meaning w/o much thought to what the final product will be.  His reasoning was that when you get caught up in a certain look and something goes wrong, it's hard to change to another design.  Anywho, I grabbed two more pieces of stone that had been tossed to the side and disregarded and made these.  Couple hours. Untreated Burlington is 174 grains and the green chert is 111.  Thanks again for comments.  dpgratz

Offline Tower

Re: Met a guy today.(more pic added late 2/2)
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 01:49:49 am »
In flux? Guess that's how 99% of my points begin. Funny how they end up corner notched. Love the points your doing great! Knap-On!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!