Author Topic: lobi cheif bow  (Read 3904 times)

Offline country

Re: lobi cheif bow
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 10:47:10 pm »
 That is too cool ...    be cool if he did a bow trade with the chief

Offline Postman

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 11:32:09 pm »
Exactly my first thought, country! I'd trade one of mine in a heartbeat!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline SA

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 11:57:44 pm »
youngboyer-  i bet when he finished his skittles he thought ''maybe that was not a good trade ;)  should have gotten two bags...

gstoneberg-i think your right (split bamboo string) do you have a guess on what type of wood it might be? i have no idea

country , postman- i thought the same thing it would be cool to trade a bow with the chief, i think it would be even better to have him teach me to make one his way . they go on mission trips every year might sign up for one :)

Shawn Acker

Offline country

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 12:07:38 am »
Yea.... doing the mission trips is something I would like to get into.... Another year or so.. all the kids will be in college.....Its something my Dad did for years...would kind of like to carry it on in his memory

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 12:58:13 am »
I'm pretty sure my nephew said it was some kind of palm.  My bow and some of the arrows look like this:

Here's some tip detail so you can see mine is tied similar to yours with a similar "string".  Back when I first got it I did a little reasearch and I think it's black palm.  I'm afraid to bend mine more than in inch or so.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 01:03:41 am »
So in looking at these two bows, it looks like they don't unstring them very often, if ever?

Guess it's time to do some reading... :)

Thank Y'all for sharing such cool and unusual bows!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline SA

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 01:10:12 am »
what intrigues me is a very similar style from west Africa all the way over to new guinea. nice collection too.
Shawn Acker

Offline Lone500

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:13 am »
If its palm i would bend it. supposed to be some Hercules strong stuff!

And Gus the reason you would want a bow strung all the time is for the opportunity shots of hunting. this is when your doing a LOT of hunting and you cant take the time to be stringing your bow. so the bow gets braced pretty low so not to put much tension on it. or thats how gstonebergs picture is. the bow that sa posted is braced a lot more.
Leon      Saluda, NC