Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 452949 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #1365 on: July 02, 2012, 11:12:24 am »
hey guys, i snapped attempt #1 a while back, so i started on 3 at the same time, the 3 should be finishing up any day now and ill choose the best for the trade.  Apologies for the delay :) i would think that my guy will have his bow in a week and a half or two.
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #1366 on: July 02, 2012, 02:19:13 pm »
The Dogwood Bow will be late in shipping.

Between sick kiddos and a sick puppy, my time has not been my own the past two weeks.

The boys brought a cough with fever home from school Friday and my oldest, three years old, is still fighting the fever.

One of the lab puppies from our recent litter, now three months old, got rolled in a fire ant bed Thursday morning before last.
He all but died last week, and even though I can't say he is getting better yet, he is not getting worse.
This past week and weekend has been round the clock care for boys and dog.

The Dogwood bow starts on the short string today, given the chance to work on it.
It is looking pretty darn good at this point.
It has been nothing if not a Tenacious Teacher in what works in straightening a dogwood stave enough to string.
I won't jinx it by calling it a bow yet, but it is dang close.

I have already PMed Bevan with the details.
I apologize for my delay.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Josh B

« Reply #1367 on: July 02, 2012, 02:20:32 pm »
I just shipped my trade bow to xxxxxxxxxxx.  It is supposed to arrive at its destination on 10JUL12 .  I hope the New owner will be pleased.  Josh 

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #1368 on: July 02, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
just a little peek at my trade bow
as i mentioned earlier, just a simple stick of yellow wood
using the missouri summer sun to help work in the beeswax/walnut oil finish i like to use
bout ready to add the handle leather and ship next week
about the hardest hitting bow i have made up til now
sure do hope the fella getting 'er likes
wild women don't get the blues

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #1369 on: July 02, 2012, 08:26:46 pm »
Sweeet, Sadie!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #1370 on: July 02, 2012, 09:36:48 pm »
Looks very nice Sadie!

Just finished mine up completely yesterday and  finished a new string of fast flight for it, been shooting it since then. Now I just need to get some pictures, pvc tube and ship it. Pics to come this week.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #1371 on: July 02, 2012, 10:11:49 pm »
AHHHHH!   The suspense is killing me!!!!!  Such cool bows being posted!   :P :P  I'm about to put a lawn chair at the mailbox.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #1372 on: July 02, 2012, 10:27:03 pm »
AHHHHH!   The suspense is killing me!!!!!  Such cool bows being posted!   :P :P  I'm about to put a lawn chair at the mailbox.

dont forget your cozy  ;)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #1373 on: July 02, 2012, 10:29:21 pm »
Well I have done my final sanding, and I just applied my stain to my trade bow.  Looking pretty good if I do say so myself.  Now to let that dry and settle in and then I will seal her up.  Plan to use Helmsman spar urethane for a sealer.  Still not sure what I am going to use for a handle wrap.  Will have to see about that.  Maybe beaver tail, or alligator, or some tanned leather with hair on it.  Just not sure yet.  Pics to come.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline coaster500

« Reply #1374 on: July 02, 2012, 11:33:28 pm »
U got that bow shining sadiejane :)

So many nice shooters..................... 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:39:56 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Gaur

« Reply #1375 on: July 02, 2012, 11:51:00 pm »
I received my trade bow from Almostpighunter and got to shoot it a bit today.  Great little bow.  Thanks a bunch Mike.  I posted some pictures on the "Blue Meanie" tread that Mike made about the bow but I'll put one here too.

I'm working on my trade bow.  A red elm self bow "minnesota osage" I heard someone call it.  Hope it works out.  I'll post some pictures soon.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1376 on: July 03, 2012, 12:00:48 am »
"Blue Meanie" fits you well, Gaur!  8)

OK everyone. The ship date is July 14. We have less than 2 weeks. If anyone is having difficulty getting their bow finished and out by that date please send Bevan or me a PM with your recipients name and we will contact and give them your excuse.  ::)  Just kidding but we will contact them with an explanation. No one should mind anyway. After all this trade is about the bow you make for your recipient!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #1377 on: July 03, 2012, 03:49:07 pm »
Good Grief....

Forgot the ship date was the 14th!!!
Not the 4th!!!
The weapon may be ready to be shipped by that date!!!

Had her under the Heat Gun again last night...
I bent the HECK out of her in the handle, hope she keeps some of the correction this time...  ::)
The Tatanka tip overlays are looking very nice.
Made a short string late last night only to discover my math was off when I tried to string her this morning.
The string was too long and may qualify as Ultra Low Brace...  :-[
That's what I get for trying to cypher with crossed eyes after the witching hour.

She's very close to flinging arrahs now.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #1378 on: July 03, 2012, 04:41:10 pm »
Sweet bending bow!!!  Congrats Gaur well done Mike :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #1379 on: July 03, 2012, 05:22:23 pm »
    I got my trade bow! It's a beautiful Black Locust self bow, set back in the handle, gull wing sweetie. I'll try to get some pictures up later today if the weather clears up. I guess for now I'll just admire it.  Rob.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.