Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 465894 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #225 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:04 am »
So i figured that since i grabbed a project that was already started i could post some pics i took of the progress.  Stave, debarked and layed out. my batch of hide glue, and my awesome tip reflexing form.  The last one is my progress tonight, moose antler overlays glued and rough cut, gonna redo the string grooves and call'r a night. 

Matt :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

« Reply #226 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:14 am »
I didnt take a pic but i decrowned it until i could see a ring of heartwood all the way down the middle.

Matt :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #227 on: February 09, 2012, 10:30:21 am »
Native Newbie:  I sure like that tip flipper! 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2012, 11:18:59 am »
That is a beautiful yew stave. I have a similar tip flipper I made by disassembeling an old recliner and using the hickory bent arms.
 One question, why did you decrown the stave? IMO, you detracted from the bow by doing so...both physically and aesthetically.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #229 on: February 09, 2012, 01:26:59 pm »
oh geez pat, my thinking was that because the sapwood was so thick and the bow so short therefore thin, the outer limbs would have been completely sapwood, that it would be ideal to thin the sapwood.  when i got to thinning i thought i might as well just decrown it to obtain a flatter more efficient cross section.  also i thought that the sinew would increase the compression on the belly so better to be heartwood than sapwood.  please correct my thought process/theories where needed, so i can keep improving :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »
With yew, the sapwood/heart wood are the perfect combo. The sapwood is ideal for tension strength and the heartwood  for compression strength. You can thin the sapwood and even have grain violations in the sapwood without jeopardising the bow.
  You haven't ruined your bow at all but you added a step that I don't think is necessary. I have never decrowned any bow and see no reason to do so. I'm not criticising your method  because it will work especially with sinew backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2012, 02:04:57 pm »
hmmmmm ok i understand, i imagine i will make a couple more of these in years to come.  I did it this way because it is what made the most sense to me right now, the next time i will leave a crowned back or just use the outer surface.  This is so fun! ahaha so many ways to do things! :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #232 on: February 09, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »
The only time I decrown is on woods that are not very strong in tension that I don't want to back.  Woods such as walnut, cherry, and erc.  If you are going to back anyway there is no need since the backing is doing the tension work.   Josh

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2012, 04:51:49 pm »
Okay,

Decided to go with the Pacific Yew.
Its gonna be a stretch for me as I'm new to Yew...
I'm pretty excited to see this one fling an arrah!

Here is the Stave "Problem Child".
She's got about a half inch of sapwood to start.
At present I'm thinking West Coast Paddle Bow with sinew backing.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2012, 04:54:22 pm »
Sorry y'all...

I meant a Quarter Inch of sapwood...
Dang Antihistamines...

:o

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2012, 04:55:47 pm »
That looks like a nice piece of yew, Gus. Looking forward to your progress.
  The 1/4" sapwood should be perfect!

Offline Gus

« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2012, 04:58:18 pm »
Thank You Pat.

So do you think I should just skin it and clean up the back leaving the sapwood that thick?

Thank You.

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2012, 05:01:41 pm »
That is the way I'd handle it, Gus. If the heart wood seems to be getting too thin you can reduce the sapwood some later.

Offline Gus

« Reply #238 on: February 09, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »
Good Deal!

Thank You Sir!
Your advise is Greatly Appreciated and Happily Taken!  :)

Been wanting to build a Paddle Bow for a while.
And studying this piece of Yew for about six months now.
I started skinning it during lunch... gonna be hard to leave it and get back to work...  :o

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #239 on: February 09, 2012, 05:14:40 pm »
Sorry y'all...

I meant a Quarter Inch of sapwood...
Dang Antihistamines...

:o

-gus

Did you get a cold over the weekend too?  I've been home from work 2 days this week and should've stayed home today.  Good grief.

George
St Paul, TX