Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 453248 times)

Offline sadiejane

Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2012, 04:45:56 pm »
thanks calendar girl-
got a name that works for me-hope i can make it really something special!
alrighty then-game on!
promised myself i aint gonna be late this year!(famous last words... :) )
wild women don't get the blues

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2012, 04:46:25 pm »
 Roughed out bow ready for straightening.
Steve Bennett

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »
thank you to all that organized this. looking forward to hopefully making someones day.

Offline JonW

« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2012, 05:40:54 pm »
I got mine roughed out and bent the tips a little. I hope my guy likes this stinkin' yella wood.......... :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2012, 06:32:00 pm »
Marie sent me a PM this afternoon telling me she had sent out all the names....SO, let the games begin!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2012, 06:40:10 pm »
Well I finally drew my poor victim.....  This is going to take some thought....  I really hope I'm up to it?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  I'm gettin a headache  :-\
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2012, 06:46:55 pm »
i got my name, this is going to be good ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Weylin

« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2012, 06:54:53 pm »
I got my name, not to pick out a piece of wood... All I have is yew right now, hope that's ok.  ;)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2012, 07:18:12 pm »
Just as a reminder, if you have questions about what the person you are making the bow for has on their 'wish list', you can pm me.

I think the best 'thank you' we all could give is plenty of good high res pics that PA can use. (hint, hint)

Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2012, 08:38:08 pm »
Got my name!!!!and the winner is????? I'll start peeling bark in the am. pics to follow. Thanks to all for putting this together. After reading all about last year I couldn't wait to give a bow away to someone I've never met.
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2012, 08:57:25 pm »
 ;D Finished gun and came in, and got my name. so back to the shop to pick out a stave  >:D. Thanks to all the powers that be behind the trade. Again this should be a great trade. 8) Hope nriufbsojno Likes what i come up with. >:D >:D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2012, 09:43:05 pm »
Thanks to all who organized this, it's much appreciated!!!

Question out there for you bow makers. I'm fairly novice to bending tips, and I haven't been too successful with getting them to bend without damaging the belly and getting fibers to raise. So I'd like some advice on how to put some flippin' in the tips without doing this? I also use some cooking oil and a heat gun and I put metal strips on the belly to keep the fibers from raising, but many times when I take the metal strips off the crack is usually there. Am I trying to bend them too far? I mean I've seen some guys with some really exaggerated tips, much more so than what I've tried. I have the bow roughed out, I'm making an Ash board bow, pyramid design, 67" tip to tip and I'm probably going to back it with rawhide just for looks (and the added protection) or possibly some other decorative backing. Either way I know to put them on after the tip flipping, just the rawhide would need to go on before tillering. So that being said as mentioned 67" tip to tip, pyramid design, 4.75" handle 1.25" thick flaring out to a full 2" wide at the fades and then tapering down to 1/2" nocks. It is 3/4" thick the full length of board. Just wondering how much I should take off before heat bending. Should I taper it down a bit, floor tiller it and then heat bend? Advice is much appreciated.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »
Well I finally drew my poor victim.....  This is going to take some thought....  I really hope I'm up to it?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  I'm gettin a headache  :-\

I know exactly how you feel. But I have seen your work and you have nothing to worry about.
I look at it like this....I am going to take my time, not rush, do the best I can, ASK FOR HELP if I get into something I am not sure/confidant about. I figure if I do that, my recipient will have something worthwhile. I also know there are going to be some absolutely stunning bows in this trade, but it is not a competition, (except with yourself to do your best).
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2012, 10:32:51 pm »

[/quote]
but it is not a competition, (except with yourself to do your best).
[/quote]
im taking that to a whole new level, including the trade bow, i have 3 i'm working on,(im not good at focusing on only one thing)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:30 pm »
I am sorry I missed this......I was debating on signing up and thought the last date to was on the 15th....but it was not....LOL  oh well I should have paid attention more.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II