Author Topic: Sinew backing over a knot, expert advice needed.....  (Read 2788 times)

TurtleCreek

Sinew backing over a knot, expert advice needed.....
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:30:48 am »
  Assuming that the knot on the back of a stave is properly "raised", when backing a bow like this, do you just lay the sinew bundles on as usual, or is there a a certain way that you should secure the sinew that goes over the knot to prevent it from lifting as the bow is drawn. 

mikekeswick

Re: Sinew backing over a knot, expert advice needed.....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:02:42 am »
I don't leave knots raised, I like to chase to a single ring everywhere. Raised sections can pop off whereas a single ring won't. Instead of leaving extra wood above the chosen ring just make the limb a little wider - this is much safer.
So if sinew backing don't leave any raised section if you already have a chased ring and yes just sinew straight over the knot. With sinew you don't need to chase rings at all, it's perfectly ok to even out any character spots to get a uniform surface. If often shape the back to be crowned if i'm going to be sinewing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:14:50 am »
I just follow the back. If a knot is somewhat raised(not with an island around it) the sinew goes over that. If there is a dip the sinew follows that. I try to keep the thickness of the sinew even no matter what the back surface looks like.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:25:12 pm »
Yes the back of a knot will already be raised if you follow a ring(never hurts when you are drawing a bow more than 1/2 its length.) Sinew glue sticks to knots just as well as any other wood

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 02:26:38 pm »
In the above bow I put the sinew around the knots

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 03:52:20 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, the info really helps.

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:35 pm »
one potential problem with sinewing over a raised knot is that sinew wants to straighten as it dries.
you're much better off to rasp the knot to the same level as the rest of the back before applying sinew.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:36:40 pm »
Sinew will shrink the same on a bumpy of flat stave, this is not an issue. If you rasp a knot down you will need to leave it bigger on the belly. Sinew will not keep a improperly made bow from blowing up