Author Topic: Making fish glue ?  (Read 7474 times)

Offline maitus

Making fish glue ?
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:24:22 pm »
Hi frends, can anybody describe the process of making isinglass from sturgeon bladders? I will get them from local fish farm. They actuelli don't look like ordinary bladders. This ''bladder'' is like membrane between spine and viscera. Im not sure how much i will get them because they gut and clean just a small percentaga of there production but it will  be enough for making bows.
I would be very grateful if somebody can share his knowledges with me,

Mait

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Making fish glue ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:24:59 pm »
Hmmm... I'm not sure if that membrane is the bladder.  The actual bladder might be something that they are throwing away with the guts.  Look at the guts and see if there are "bubbles" or air sacks in there.  You might have to get the bladders out of the gut pile.

As for making glue, the bladders are simmered (not a rolling boil) in pure water for however long it takes to dissolve the bladders.  Then the "soup" is strained.  You keep the juice and through away any lumpy material and fat.  The juice is then kept in a cool place or poured onto a non-stick pan in a thin layer and left to dry.  The resulting hard glue can be reconstituted with water.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:02:23 pm »
Hmmm... I'm not sure if that membrane is the bladder.  The actual bladder might be something that they are throwing away with the guts.  Look at the guts and see if there are "bubbles" or air sacks in there.  You might have to get the bladders out of the gut pile.

As for making glue, the bladders are simmered (not a rolling boil) in pure water for however long it takes to dissolve the bladders.  Then the "soup" is strained.  You keep the juice and through away any lumpy material and fat.  The juice is then kept in a cool place or poured onto a non-stick pan in a thin layer and left to dry.  The resulting hard glue can be reconstituted with water.

2nd that. The really important thing with all the cologen based glues is to not overheat during making or using. Once it gets too hot too comfortably dip your fingers in it's too hot. I like using candles for the heat source after using a stove to get it from cold upto temperature. The best glues are clear or almost clear.

Offline maitus

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:54:16 pm »
Thank you for answers :)

jackcrafty, ...not ewery fish has bladders like carp and similar fish. If you have catched pike, then you can find from his belly similar membrane as stugeon and no bladder like bubbles.

I found something : http://www.facebook.com/m...6.127435073971066&type=3
This tecnology seems to be totally different. By these pictures is possible to imagine how this glue is made like but obvieusly there is something moor i need to know.

Offline maitus

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 10:54:40 pm »
What your looking for is the float bladder. And in a sturgeon its hard to miss you won't have a hard time finding it. It's held along the bottom of the spine. It's not like a urine bladder. Float bladder is the membrane along the spine. Even when a sturgeon is long dead the bladder will still be inflated. Grab one end pinch it and just pull it out. Dry it. Either you can lightly boil it until its dissolved, or you can do it Hupa style and chew it and spit out the paste into a bowl your choice lol!
I also recommend getting the skin as well its AWESOME for backing a bow with.

Have fun :D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 11:44:33 pm »
I made some glue I am waiting to use of air bladder. I worked on a fishing boat and we would sometimes pull up 5000 lb of rockfish. These snappers could not deal with being brought off the bottom that fast and there air sacks would pop through there mouths.
 Also just made some salmon skin glue. So far it is acting just like hide glue but slightly more orange.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 03:11:16 pm »
I made some glue I am waiting to use of air bladder. I worked on a fishing boat and we would sometimes pull up 5000 lb of rockfish. These snappers could not deal with being brought off the bottom that fast and there air sacks would pop through there mouths.
 Also just made some salmon skin glue. So far it is acting just like hide glue but slightly more orange.

ive never made salmon skin glue before.... good thing the spring run is just about here :D
Clatskanie, Oregon