Author Topic: Where can I get lots of cheap rawhide????  (Read 11126 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Where can I get lots of cheap rawhide????
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:15:51 pm »
I want some rawhide for backing but dont like being robbed, wanted to shave and dry some from a deer my dad got this year but the dog had other plans for the few strips that I cut :'( so I gave that idea up before I thought of finding a way of keeping the dog away. Where can I find some cheap&good rawhide
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:38:29 pm by Youngboyer »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Where can I get lots of cheap rawhide????
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:35 pm »
The "Trading Post"!  ;) 
   You don't have to tan rawhide. It is just that RAW HIDE just dried and the hair remover.   It doesn't take long to make rawhide if you can find a fresh deer hide.
  You might check Moscow Hide and Fur or look through the Classified Ads in PA Magazine. Deer or goat rawhide are both thin but strong. Good candidates for backing material.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:43:17 pm »
Not sure what you mean by "lots", but if you PM me your address, I will ship you a set of deer rawhide backing strips to get you started.

Offline Lone500

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:53:29 pm »
do dogs make good rawhide? just jokin  ;D

ive heard squirrels make decent rawhide? when you tan rawhide it becomes leather. rawhide is just hide that is raw.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline SA

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:53:52 pm »
look up tandy leather factory thats were i get mine  ,you can get sheets with enough to to back several bows for about $30. i think they are called rawhide bends-6sq ft
Shawn Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:06:21 pm »
Shawn, what kind of rawhide does Tandy's sell? Cow is too thick unless you thin it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:30:19 pm »
Tandy sells excellent deer rawhides. They don't often have them, so you have to be patient. If you purchase a whole hide and cut them yourself, you can get matched pairs for less than $10.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:36:06 pm »
I buy goat rawhide. The last I looked (just cut up my last one) they run approx $30-$40. The last bunch I got on sale for $20.

And yes, dog can make good rawhide. Just ask JW.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline country

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:32 pm »
I bought some drum covers   (this was goat rawhide)  worked great on my last hickory/sinew bow.... $12 on ebay

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 11:04:04 pm »
The classic hide used for the Irish bodhran is dog, with goat running a close second.  I prefer goat because if I kill it for a hide I'm gonna eat it.  I'm still minding fences with my last neighbor over Rover. 

He was dog-gone good, though!   >:D

Michael Foltmer advertises in PA in the classifieds.  He sells high quality antelope and deer rawhides.  He goes to the processor and hand picks the hides and only takes the largest hides.  If you have shorter limbs you can cut your strips from side to side from the antelope and probably back 6 or more bows for under $40 including shipping!  With his larger mule deer hides you could get as many as 8 bows from a single hide.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SA

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 09:47:59 pm »
patb , it is cow hide about 1/16'' thick i usually sand it down a tad seems to work ok.
what would be to thick ? just courious i've only backed a few bows with rawhide.
how thin can you get with rawhide ?
Shawn Acker

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 09:53:26 pm »
I measured a piece of my goat rawhide. It is less them 1 mm thick.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 10:09:47 pm »
You can also look up springfield leather. I've been doing business with them for years and their great folks :)
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 12:37:49 am »
Sa, it is more a question of physical weight added to the bows limb. Any thickness rawhide will protect the back of the bow.