Author Topic: last years bow, this years problem  (Read 1662 times)

Offline ojibwatbowyer

last years bow, this years problem
« on: February 01, 2012, 05:11:03 pm »
Hello all, this time last year I made a short 53 inch gull wing sinew backed bow from HHB, I totally messed up the tiller (rushed it!) and it developed a sick hinge and I moved on to another project and has been sitting collecting dust ever since. Well today I nearly finished a different bow and decided to fix the HHB bow, I got rid of the hinge but now its a light bow 30-35lbs. So my question is, can I remove last years sinew job possibly with steam or heat gun and apply a thicker backing of moose sinew to add weight, the initial job was two thin layers.
Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

Nate  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: last years bow, this years problem
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:12:47 pm »
I say add to what you already have down with some extra reflex pulled in.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:12:02 pm »
I agree with Pearlie. Clean up the sinew back, add glue then add sinew.  ;)

You can remove the sinew by soaking it in water to soften up the sinew/hide glue....unless you used TB glue, then forget it...although you could add more on top of that I guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:14:09 pm »
Sand the surface of the sinew nice and fresh and add another layer of sinew.  No need to take off the first layers unless they are a bad job.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:55:37 pm »
If your gonna pull the old sinew off..I would heat treat the belly while you have the chance...But you could just add sinew to what you already have.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:00:12 am »
HB has a point.  HHB responds well to heat treatment.  That would add about 5#'s of draw weight. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:26:34 am »
I like all the advice, I forgot to mention that where the hinge was the sinew lifted a bit, thats why I had asked about replacing it. Man do I feel like a noob, well I am a noob. I didnt treat the belly but I will this time, I just started heat treating my bellies and that makes a world of difference. ive probably shot the bow maybe fifty times about 10 months ago, would that make a difference when heat treating it?