Author Topic: small strings  (Read 2884 times)

Offline seabass

small strings
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:53:49 pm »
hey guys,i just bought two small hickory practice bows from Rudder.i am making a couple of bows for some little girls in my family.the bows are 24" in length.my problem is that i don't knowhow to twist a string that short.i have a standard string jig and it doesn't go that small.any advice would help greatly.thanks,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Dictionary

Re: small strings
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:36:17 pm »
reverse wrap cordage i'd guess
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 07:42:23 pm »
i make flemish twist strings on a jig.i have never had to make one this short.i know some guys on here make bows for kids.i want to know if they make a special jig for strings this short.i can make a new jig if i have to.thanks,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:16:44 pm »
? Can't you just cut a larger string down a bit?   :laugh: Instead of using a jig, you could just use a couple kitchen chairs to tie your two bundles to. Twist one to the left until it is trying to unwrap itself, and then tie it to a chair so it doesn't untie itself. Then do the same with the other one in the same direction. Then untie the two from the chair, and let them unwrap in the opposite direction around each other. And there you have some quick easy reverse wrap cordage.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:20:30 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:20:02 pm »
Put an eye in one end and a bowyers knot in the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »
? Can't you just cut a larger string down a bit?   :laugh: Instead of using a jig, you could just use a couple kitchen chairs to tie your two bundles to. Twist one to the left until it is trying to unwrap itself, and then tie it to a chair so it doesn't untie itself. Then do the same with the other one in the same direction. Then untie the two from the chair, and let them unwrap in the opposite direction around each other. And there you have some quick easy reverse wrap cordage.
sounds similar to what i do, i take my fast flight and loop it between two pegs a few feet more than twice the bow length, the take a drill with a hooked bit in it, and twist till it is trying to wrap back on its self, the carefully wind it up, attach to the first peg , and let it twist together with some help to get it tight, it sounds more complicated than it is
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 09:24:57 pm »
thanks guys.Pat,i never thought of the bowyers not.thank you so much.i wanted a two loop string,but why go through the trouble.i'll make one just like my tillering string.thanks again,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:26:50 pm »
Pat gave you the easiest answer.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 09:31:32 pm »
yes he did.i don't know why i didn't think of it.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 11:41:28 pm »
sounds similar to what i do, i take my fast flight and loop it between two pegs a few feet more than twice the bow length, the take a drill with a hooked bit in it, and twist till it is trying to wrap back on its self, the carefully wind it up, attach to the first peg , and let it twist together with some help to get it tight, it sounds more complicated than it is

Ya, I've never used a jig. I don't even know how to use a jig really. I would think it would be easier to do it this way, as you can wax each strand when it's tied between two pegs (or chairs). You don't have to twist that much if you don't like reverse wrap, you can twist just enough to get it to stay wrapped around itself.

thanks guys.Pat,i never thought of the bowyers not.thank you so much.i wanted a two loop string,but why go through the trouble.i'll make one just like my tillering string.thanks again,Steve

You don't have to have a jig to make a loop. What you do is form a loop with some string left over, unwrap the two main bundles that are twisting around each other, wrap the two tails (extra string left over from the loop your making) around the twos main bundles in the opposite direction on the main string, and then wrap the two main bundles back up. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:45:01 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 03:14:51 am »
like Pat said on all the little bows i build they get a bowyers knot, course so do most string's i make, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹