Author Topic: Question about bow material  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Lone500

Re: Question about bow material
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 09:38:30 pm »
I really have no target weight  :-\

I like my bows heavy but i know for a first bow i should probably try something a little lighter. what would be a good target weight for  D bow style hickory?

edit- 1 other kinda funny question... will palownia make a bow? its light but pretty strong for its weight. no plans or anything just figured i would ask if anyone has ever heard of such a thing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:05:46 pm by Lone500 »
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:56 pm »
Do not make the mistake of trying to shoot the heaviest bow you can pull. It does not hurt to start out light and work up. A 35#-40# bow will do 'the job' on rabbits and squirrels with not problem. and you can shoot it all day.

The offer for the shafting still goes. If you are interested let me know.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Lone500

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:37 am »
I have no idea what i could pull but i wouldnt be aiming for anything over 50#. I appreciate the offer as well but i really need to just figure out how to make consistent dowels and then ill have stacks of shafts.

Oh and i heard yall liked the pictures.

Staff of hickory 6 ft 4 inches. 1 3/4'' wide. couldnt really get a good picture down the wood. its nice and strait.

last picture is of the little pin knot a few inches up from center of the staff. only knot in this staff.

picture of the little curve its got going on with drying. between each side its actually pretty even curve.

picture didnt come out well. cant really see to the far end. kitty cat wanting fame.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:44:50 am by Lone500 »
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Lone500

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 12:46:28 am »
and picture of only knot in the staff.

and thats all i got for now. just been lettin this thing dry.
Leon      Saluda, NC