Author Topic: Rattan grip wraps?  (Read 6913 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Rattan grip wraps?
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:00:47 am »
Antone know aan online source to get Rattan? I was looking local and can't find it around me. I would really like to use it on one of my new bows...Thanks Bill
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Rattan grip wraps?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:30 am »
PM sent
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:18:34 am »
Thanks Bevan!!! Good site
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:43:34 am »
Bill, I've done a few rattan handle wraps. I've used 3/16" and 1/8". I like the looks of the 1/8 better but it takes a piece about 14' long or longer to do a 4" handle. The 3/16 only takes about 7 or 8 feet. I never could figure out how to splice the rattan so it would be comfortable to grip and look good so the longer pieces were more desireable for me.
  In the bundle I bought a few years ago only half or less were long enough(in my opinion) to make a decent handle wrap.
  I love the looks of a rattan handle wrap and the feel of it while shooting. It is cool in summer and quite effective under any weather conditions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:43:45 pm »
another thing you might give a try for a wrap is a leather braided handle using leather lacing (kangaroo hide is the best, this one was of cheapo skived cowhide)
I have a whole series of photo shots of how i did this one if you are interested or if anyone else is.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:47:13 pm »
I have a whole series of photo shots of how i did this one if you are interested or if anyone else is.

I would love to see a 'build' of how you did that.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:22 pm »
Bevan: I second that!
Bill Stockdill

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »
I'd be glad too,
don't want to get in the way of the rattan wrap questions
should i start a new topic? what should it fall under? bows?
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:59:50 am »
Richard I'd put it in "How to's and buildalongs"
Bill Stockdill

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 11:08:51 pm »
I know this is an older thread but I thought I would add a method to use shorter lengths of rattan for a handle.

This the method I use on fly rod cork grips.
If I know I will need to use two lengths of rattan, I make sure the splice is half way up the handle, just for visual appeal.
Drill a small hole, the same size or slightly smaller than two strips of your rattan. Put super glue in the hole and insert the ends of boths pieces.
Now start your wraps from there, working your way up and down.  It is much more difficult to start at one end and try to splice as you go.
If done correctly the splice is barely noticeable.

Patrick

Offline Gaur

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:45:23 am »
I really like them on my grips.  have a nice cushion to them and they don't get slimy when wet like leather.  I get them here in Thailand from a friend that makes bamboo furniture.  I soak them in water a bit first wrap them with a tag underneath to hold it in place on both ends and then after it dries I put some super glue in the seams to lock it in place well.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Gaur

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 12:52:14 am »
Here is a rattan wrap on one of James Parker's Bamboo Dragon's.  I cut it in half  :o and made it a take down.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 01:15:51 am »
Patrick, thanks for the tip. I like rattan handle wraps too for the same reasons Gaur stated. I never could figure out how to splice the rattan comfortably and attractively. This method of yours does both!
Gaur, you have some cajones cutting a James Parker Bamboo Dragon in half.  :o 
 Good recovery though!  ;)  I asume you used a take down sleeve?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gaur

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 10:00:22 am »
It is a stainless/brass sleeve.  Yeah I wouldn't have done it but I wanted to get it back overseas with me and didn't want to pay extra baggage for a long box.  Didn't cut the bamboo turk in half though.   I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to pull it off as the section of riser wasn't too long before it tapers.  I actually only have about 2 inches in the brass and have a hollow area I can hide contraband in ;D