Author Topic: Sinew Curing Question  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Almostpighunter

Sinew Curing Question
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:28:08 am »
To all the sinew-ers out there. I just backed my first ever bow with sinew and I have read a lot about how long the bowyers let their sinew "cure". The bow is Osage and was dry/seasoned before I backed it. I put down the sinew with TBIII and it feels rock hard now (glue cured?) even though it has been only a week. I have seen some of you say the sinew needs to cure for up to 6 months? How can I know when it's safely cured?

Offline Keenan

Re: Sinew Curing Question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:31:17 am »
It will feel rock hard after a week for sure. And for the most part it is dry, yet it will continue to shrink for a bit longer and pull a slight bit more reflex if layed real straight when put on. You could go ahead and start your final tiller however just know that you may be chasing the tiller as it changes from the sinews final curing. Hope that helps you understand the pros and cons of sinew

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:47:09 am »
Don't know with TB3,with hide glue I give in a month or so in a good dry place.I would say with TB it won't take near as long,it won't srink like hide glue as it dries,and dries very fast. Sorry not much help. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:58:16 am »
I have heard other people talk about using wood glue on sinew, never tried it. Has other people had luck with it?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:08:15 am »
a lot of folks are doing it,I really can't quite figure it out but I guess it is working
good for most. I am of the belief it will protect as well with TB1/2/3 but won't let the sinew do what it really does well,pull the bow into reflex and help hold  that. :)Hide glue will.  ;)So if all I am looking for is protection Rawhide is much easier to come by and easier to use. JMO.Get out the pop corn. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:14:10 pm »
Without getting into a discussion as to the use of either glue most people seem to say that TB has the potebtial to take longer to dry. It is waterproof so after the outer part dries it locks moisture in which is going to take time to diissipate.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 12:20:15 pm »
  You've did everything so far to ensure it's thest bow it can be. So why hurry now. I
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:18 pm »
  When I started building bows likemost I just could'nt weight and a month seamed like 5. And I did 2 or 3 like this and they were find. But my friend CROOKETARROW would just shake his head. They were fine. With time the time increased as like he did I waited as leat 2. Becuase of dead lines the people up on me. I've but sinewed bows in the hot box at low as temp as I could I think 20 days was the soonest. Both I've put in the hot box worked out fine.
  I used elmers more than 15 years ago. Although not water proff it worked fine.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 10:39:57 pm »
Thanks guys. As far as my patience is concerned, there's no real rush. I was just wondering about the 3-6 months thing. It really seems like overkill, but if that is what it takes then that is what it takes.

@Keenan: I like the idea of maybe doing the final shaping of the bow and holding off on the tillering until more time has gone by. Thanks for the advice there :)

To everyone else thanks so much for your input. I will take it all to heart.

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 10:57:02 pm »
Just a guess where the 3 month idea comes in, prepared Hide glue is mostly hot water which may soak into the wood somewhat, dried hide glue and sinew will pull moisture from the air and so will take longer to dry if you are making a bow in humid weather, the combination of re-moistened wood with glue and sinew sounds like something that would take a while to reach equilibrium. Titebond and other similar glues have chemical actions going with air that speeds curing and drying.

That's just my theory on why it takes three months. I could be wrong. I was wrong once. It was the time I thought that I was wrong and then it turned out that I was right.

There is a neat technique that uses radio frequency to instantly cure Titebond glue. IT's used in the furniture industry when doing big laminations. You wave an RF wand over the piece and acbracadabra! The glue has set. 

Probably doesn't qualify as primitive...
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!