Author Topic: Split Arrow Jig?  (Read 7284 times)

Offline bushman

Split Arrow Jig?
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:58:24 am »
In TBB1 there is a picture of a jig for making arrows from split wood, the caption said it was a good system if you hade to make lots of shafts. Has anyone ever made one? I would be interested in makin one, just not sure how the board was set up. Thanks.
Bushman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Split Arrow Jig?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:05:50 am »
There are quite a few different arrow shaft makers from a simple thumb plane to the Shaft Shooter. A little more info would help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushman

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:25:02 am »
Ok Pat B, it is a board with two strips on ether side of a grove used for guides, the plane is a small one that uses a concave blade. The description said the plane will just take off the high spots when you don’t get any more shavings you got a round shaft. If someone has made one I was looking for dimensions and what type of grove is used.
Bushman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:43:10 am »
This is my home made arrow jig. The thumb plane cost about $8 ar Ace Hardware and the board was a scrap. It works quite well.

These are some of my arrow making tools. You can see the thumb plane at the potop of the group.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:49:48 am »
bushman,
     Three rivers sells what you are looking for. I have used one. It had 2 sides. One side made smaller diameter shafting. They advertise in PA so I thought I would post the link.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=5600

Bevan
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:54:25 am by Bevan R. »
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bushman

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:27:58 am »
Thanks Bevan R. thats what I was talking about. Thanks for the pictures Pat B, how deep and wide is the groove in the board, and what size of shafts does it make? In the second picture what do you use that short section of wood with a hock in one end and an eye in the other? Thanks.
Bushman

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:46:23 am »
Another method I use is to cut a 'V' groove in a base board. then I lay the square stock in the channel and use a light plane and take off the four corners. then take of the 8 corners. then sand round. I can take a square blank to round shaft in a few minutes. You can adjust the size of the shaft you want very easily.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:02:46 am »
Just what Bevan said.  The hook and eye are for straightening shafts. You rub either the hook or the eye vigerously against the high side of the bend.  I also have a small block of wood with a 5/16", 11/32" and 3/8" holes in it. I use to size shafts as I plane them down.
  The groove in the board is just to steady the stock while you reduce it with the plane, one corner at a time. A "V" groove will accomidate most size arrow shafts. It is hard to see but I have added a small wooden "stop" at the far end of the groove. It helps to secure the shaft while planeing by holding the stock against the stop with one hand while planeing the stock into a shaft.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:28:55 pm »
tho this one was designed for a more "wilderness" or "survival" scenario.
with some refinement it could be easily made into a general purpose arrow shaft jig.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hobbexp#p/u/47/NqcSsFYyIm0

wild women don't get the blues

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 01:29:59 pm »
Once again, sadie comes thru w/ another cool video.  I liked that one too.   8)dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 03:18:36 pm »
Once again, sadie comes thru w/ another cool video.  I liked that one too.   8)dpgratz

obviously i spend WAY too much time on the internet.
but i do save these tidbits away in files cuz im always thinking im gonna do that one of these days
and now i have to file this thread with it as i sure do wanna make a jig like pat shows.
i spend way more time than necessary getting shoot shafts down to size...
wild women don't get the blues