Author Topic: Hello Primitive Archer  (Read 3160 times)

Offline GoldDust

Hello Primitive Archer
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:19:54 am »
Hello, I'm a newbie to bow making. I'm from the hosier state and have taken a buck with my metal machine and barcoded carbon arrows in each of the last three years and am ready to leave those behind and become a real archer. My last hunt solidified my passion for the craft. (More on that later as pics are needed to fully explain) I wanted to thank all of you for creating this community andhelping to pass on the lessons you've learned. Even though I've read the bibles front to cover and I have a ready supply of straight trees to fell, so far I have made some very beautiful yellow walking sticks :o Well its bed time for me and Im beat from felling and splitting a very stubborn Osage. Again thank you and I look forward to becoming a friend and contributer to primitive archer. GoldDust.
See one, do one, teach one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hello Primitive Archer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:23:32 am »
Welcome to PA GoldDust. Let us help you with the transition from modern back to primitive.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:58 am »
Welcome to pa and good luck with the new addiction!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:25:12 am »
Welcome! Look forward to seeing your progress on the trail to enlightenment! ;D. Josh

Offline GoldDust

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:31:17 am »
Uh, that's the hoosier state (Indiana) not the hosier state.  ;D darned spell checker.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:50:52 am »
Welcome to PA, GoldDust.  Was making some of that dust myself, a bit earlier.  You'll like it here.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 01:22:33 am »
Welcome, from a fellow Hoosier  ;D  I'm in the S.E. corner, what part are you from?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Lone500

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:50:20 am »
another one is corrupted mwhaha.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline GoldDust

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 02:15:55 am »
Thanks Osage Outlaw, I'm from Indy. But am an avid outdoorsman. Were Superbowl crazy right now. I hunt in Hendricks county on family land. I also have a cousin who I hunt with in orange county near paoli. I hunt in Ohio on a regular basis as well. This is the last weekend there. This past season I hunted muscatatuck which was a real treat as I used to live nearby and have some fond memories fishing and mushroom hunting at muscatatuck with my father.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 05:17:58 am »
metal machine and barcoded carbon arrows .....
~All I can say is good man and a good decision. Making your own gear is just so rewarding and it can be virtually free so everything becomes a level playing field rather than who can buy the 'best' gear. It's also a real eye opener when you get to making wooden bows near their best potential - those arrows will fly just as straight and with enough speed to kill anything a wheeled bow can.
Good luck on your journey.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 11:16:40 am »
Welcome to PA
Your spelling was correct for the way we say it in Ohio ,but then we are a bunch of worthless nuts !
Enjoy the journey !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 11:51:11 am »
Welcome Goldust, Look forward to your posts.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline lowell

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 12:01:33 pm »
Welcome...we don't judge spelling.....just bows....and that's they way we like it!! >:D ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »
Well, as an addict myself I will caution you to guard yourself against this incidious disease. It is all consuming and hard to explain to anyone outside the craft. Hope your family is understanding cause your liable to start spending more time away from them (in the garage.) and walking around hollow eyed (can't sleep thinking about that twisted yellow stick.) Begging a few dollars (to pick up that old draw knife from the flea market.) Gazing out the car window with that blank stare (cause you just passed a hedge row you wonder who owns.)

Yes please control this inner evil or it will control you!  >:D >:D

Offline Lone500

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 05:12:18 pm »
Haha stringman. i wonder am i the only one who carries a small tape measure around in their pocket so when you find a nice looking tree you can measure potential staves? Im sure people watching me measure parts of a tree thing im nutty as heck.
Leon      Saluda, NC