Author Topic: noob question  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Shondy55

noob question
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:50:57 pm »
Alright guys i got a feeling this is a noob question but i need to know.  when making a working handle bow or any bow for that matter do you place the handle in the dead center of the bow or would it be better to position the handle so that the top of the handle/ arrow rest hits the dead center? does that make sense? if ya know what im trying to ask any advice is appreciated! thanks
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: noob question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:32:53 am »
You can go either way. For me, I like a symmetrical bow with the center of the handle being the center of the bow. In my case the arrow pass is about 1" to 1 1/4" above center.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:24 am »
Some people do it one way and some the other. But you want the ends of the limbs to be an equal distance away from the center of the handle For a symmetrical bow & in my book that is a rule
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:01:33 am »
my personal opinion is that if you are doing a stiff handle, hand the handle completely centered, if its a bendy handle bow like and elb, then i have the arrow pass over the dead center, and hold just below it, tht has always worked for me, but i think its mostly personal preference
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline edseljoe

Re: noob question (Also a noob question)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:56:36 am »
Aren't some Japanese war bows radically off-center?  I seem to recall that the han-kyu and dai-kyu bows are off center and even have different recurves on either side of the handle.  I've never shot one, but I have found two pictures... which I cannot seem to post, but if you put han-kyu bow or dai-kyu bow into the ol' google, you'll see what I'm saying.

The palanquin bow is intended to be shot from horseback and the lower recurve is, I believe, shorter to accommodate that mounted firing stance.

edseljoe