Author Topic: Bow #2, Help me with final tillering :)  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Nifty

Bow #2, Help me with final tillering :)
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »
Almost have bow #2 finished up. Just needs a little tweaking and some finish work.

It's a Red Oak board, with a glued on handle which blends into the fades to keep it from popping off. It's 68" ntn, and right now about 38 pounds @ 27".

Here's the picture:

So to me, it looks like the "top" limb is stronger than the bottom, and both limbs are a little stiff from about mid limb out to the tips. What do you guys think? I don't care if it comes in at a final weight of 30#, I'd just like to get the tiller right and gain experience.

Next plans: bamboo backed ipe or massandoobiewood (that brazillian stuff)... and cutting a nice, straight, perfect 4" diameter hickory pole I've been eyeballing!
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bow #2, Help me with final tillering :)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:38:06 pm »
What does the front profile look like?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Nifty

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:47:29 pm »

Semi-Pyramid, parallel 1 3/4" limbs until 18" from the tips, then tapering to 5/8" nocks. I learned a lesson on the handle, I have way more non-working handle length than necessary. I think there is still plenty of working limb, it just wasn't necessary to have 8" of handle, lol
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:28:28 pm »
From the pic I see I would say you look good as is. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »
Nice! I like it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:33:34 pm »
Looks good to me too. I think your done with the tillering now just baby doll that rascal up and call it good.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 02:57:38 am »
your tiller looks nice!! Where do you lay out centerline at? You said that the top looked stronger but I think that you could cut 1" off the bottom limb and push center more towards where your arrow sits. Maybe it is my imagination????

Offline randman

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 05:02:51 am »
It's not too late to improve the handle. The red lines show a better example of a handle riser that "blends into the fades" to keep from popping off. Just knock off those corners to smooth it the opposite way. What you have there is pressure point edge that you are bending the limb over (kind of like bending a slat over the edge of your bench top). That will more than likely pop off. The other way creates a smooth transition to the handle riser.

Other than that great job! I agree with your assessment of the tiller.
Is the lower limb longer or is it just the lighting?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:06:01 am by randman »
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.