Author Topic: Body mechanics archery and amputation  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Jeanette

Body mechanics archery and amputation
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:01:48 am »
This is a weird question.
Back in Aug. I had a mastectomy (L). I started  shooting at about 8 I am currently in my 60's.
A few weeks ago when the weather was nice I went out to my range (using my light weight bow) and I could not hit the side of a barn from the inside. Usually I have good groupings.
Later that week I took my pistol to the rage to see what happened if it was just my bow or what again I was all over the target (at least this time I hit the paper).
dose anyone have any ideas what happened or how to adjust .
Jeanette

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Body mechanics archery and amputation
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:09:49 am »
Maybe your chest muscles are weaker now? :-\
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:04:24 am »
Is it possible you've had a change with you're eye sight? I don't mean that you can't see haha but that maybe your eye sight has to change and the other eye is more dominant now? I've heard of this happening to other guys who had to change the way they shot (switching from righty to lefty or vise versa) because of it. Just a guess on my part though obviously.

Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 11:16:39 am »
You may have to start over and learn how to shoot. You will probably using different muscles than before plus the muscles have atrophied to the point that you need to reeducate them.
  Start out slow at close range and practice on your form. Don't worry about where the arrows are going, just your form. Once you get that worked out your shooting should improve.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:22 pm »
Actually sounds like a stabilization problem. The muscles are strong enough, just haven't gotten used to the new balance of your body composition. Not unlike people who do a lot of weight lifting and add muscle mass. All of a sudden their balance is different and their accuracy changes. Loosing weight can effect it also. Ill bet it comes back quick with a little practice.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 05:31:11 pm »
Your lucky to still shoot Jeanette. My wife and I went through the same BS two years ago and she cant draw her bow now and probably never will. Hopefully you get your accuracy figured out, if not be thankful you can still draw and shoot! Good luck ma'am :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »
Jeanette
Welcome to PA!
Many things could be happining
Take it easy concentrate on form first
As far as eye dominance that can change many times and often does for me ! Do you have a aiming system you use or do you only pick a spot on target to focus on (shoot instinctively )If you have an aiming system you will most likely have to make some adjustments ,but if you shoot Instinctively your brain will autoadjust after a few shots !!
Stay at it it will happen for you no matter what may be going on ,Have fun and don't stress !!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:08:23 pm »
You were ornery enough to fight back and survive, I bet you got enough ornery left in you to re-learn how to shoot! 

Buckeye could be on to something, work on your form, every little bitty thing EXCEPT trying to hit a bullseye.  If at all possible, shoot against a really light colored background so that your eye can pick out any flaw in arrow flight.  Those flaws will help you define where your form is coming up short and what little oopsies happen in your release.  Just draw, anchor, release and enjoy the flight of the arrow.  After all, it is the subconscious that really does the aiming and accuracy thingy. 

Good luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:38 pm »
Thanks guys, the ideas are helping, I went to get fitted for a prostheses, my fitter and I where talking and she said the reason my back and neck where hurting was because my body is trying to "align" because it is off balance. A slight waving that you do not notice.
I went home and made a prostheses and I will be danged my grouping was back .....hurt like the devil after a few rounds. Will have to use a light bow for awhile until the muscles get back (if ever) and gradually work up to my fav. bow. But between the Tie Chi  and weight  (light) training and a hard head I should be back in the grove.
Thanks.
Jeanette

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 11:19:17 pm »
Welcome to PA.  I'm sure glad things are improving for you.  I applaud your determination to get back to shooting.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:01 am »
Keep us posted on your improvement. Slow and steady wins the race!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 10:57:34 am »
Hang in their, Hard head will usually get most things done,shooting is no different. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jeanette

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 02:21:59 pm »
Your lucky to still shoot Jeanette. My wife and I went through the same BS two years ago and she cant draw her bow now and probably never will. Hopefully you get your accuracy figured out, if not be thankful you can still draw and shoot! Good luck ma'am :)

Pearl Drum if she wants to shoot try a light bow say around 20pounds and just sit and pull it a little at a time while watching TV just to work those muscels when she feel ready just go out and shoot a few arrows it is like starting all over again. As you know dealing with this is a lot of YES I CAN DAMN IT!! set small goals
and don't over do it all at once.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26:54 pm »
Welcome Jeanette. With an attitude like yours you want have a problem except some hard work.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:53:45 pm »
Glad to here you are on the mends !!
Caution , hanging around here is dangerous you will soon be scraping wood and such ,What out for the addiction !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !