Author Topic: How to proceed?  (Read 903 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

How to proceed?
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:16:21 pm »
I've been (very) slowly working on my first true R/D bow and am a little stuck. Apologize up front for no pics but will try my best to get some up. Someone may have a simple answer . The problem is one of the limbs came out with about an inch more reflex. This is a BBI so can't be heated, etc. as it's already glued up. Do I just treat the more reflexed limb as stronger and tiller some of the reflex out?
Pyramid, 60" tip to tip, BBI, deflex glued in at handle, target weight 50-55 lbs, about 1" wide at handle

blackhawk

Re: How to proceed?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:08:52 pm »
One inch extra in one limb ain't too bad. Just make the more reflexed limb your bottom limb. Some of it will tiller out by default of set. If its a pyramid limb then it should be fairly easy to tiller by keeping an almost even thickness taper to very little taper from fade to tip. By most standards most folks say a R/D should have limbs go full width a lil ways before you start your taper to better handle the stress of the design. A R/D pyramid is fine,but just be careful in your tiller and not over stress the fades. The ipe should help seeing how its strong in compression..just go slow n easy and work the fades at the final stages of tillering. Hope this helps.