Author Topic: Tillering Tree W/o Power Tools?  (Read 6957 times)

Offline Dictionary

Tillering Tree W/o Power Tools?
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:11:26 pm »
Disclaimier: This is probably a stupid question.

I was researching some plans on making a tillering tree and i was searching for the simplest method of doing so but all seemed to require power tools (a power drill first and foremost) and i don't have one or access to one(money is very tight for this young guy). I was wondering does anyone have a tree set up maybe with just the pulley nailed in to the wall? I thought i read somewhere someone did. Could this handle at least 60 pounds of weight? Or is there another method to get this set up with just simple hand tools? I'm not unusually handy.

Thanks
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: Tillering Tree W/o Power Tools?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:52:56 pm »
I just use a 2x4 with a piece nailed on the front 2" face to hold in the handle.  Use a handsaw to cut your string grooves at about a 45 degree so it doesn't slip out.  You could nail it to the wall, but I use mine free standing because I don't have a pulley.  I'd nail it to a stud, then nail your pulley on the same stud closer to the ground.  Hope this helps!

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:44:56 pm »
Mine is very similar to above but I don't have notches for the string and I used screws because I've had bad experiences with nails on various other projects. Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »
Yes, you can SECURELY bolt the pulley to a wall with a shelf at some distance over it. Good to go. Mine is bolted to a 2 x 4 and  clamps into a vice and clamps up top to keep it from moving back and forth. Make sure the vice is bolted down securely. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »
I have a tiller tree that is portable. It is a 6' 2x4 with a 4" long 2x4 piece nailed near the top to hold the bow. At the bottom I put a screw eye in with the pully attached. I strap or tie it to a porch or barn support pole and tiller away.     On one of my barn poles, where I have the camp-o-rama, I nailed a short piece of 2x4 to the pole and screwed the pully/screw eye down near the bottom.
  Be sure that whatever you make is very solid and has plenty of room around it. You don't want any problems with a cheaply made tiller tree when you have your bow at full draw.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:21:05 pm »
Peacebow, yours is a tillering stick, i've got one of those made already

George, how would i go about bolting it to the wall? What tool is needed for this?

Pat- so the pulley is attached only by a screw eye? But you have to have a power drill to drill that in to the wall though right?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:25:33 pm »
My tree is a vertical 2x4 mounted to the wall with some long drywall screws.  My pulley is attached with a big screw eye.  If you go with the 2 pulley design, it will make it a lot easier to draw the bow on it.  That helps when you start exercising it during tillering.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 09:39:03 pm »
So is it necessary to predrill before installing the eye bolts?

Like this starting at 1:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUDzJiW_7Q

I'm really asking all of this because i really have no power tools and no money for them.....Nor have i really used any power tools in a really long time.

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:07 pm »
It would make it easier to screw in and help prevent the board from splitting.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:45:55 pm »
hmmm....I may have to save up and invest in one.

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 10:19:02 pm »
You could get one cheap off of craigslist.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 12:13:14 am »
Try driving a spike nail into the stud first then pull it out and use the hole left behind to start the eye bolt into , When you get it started stick a screw driver or something in the eye to give you the leverage you need to finish screwing it in !
ask permission from the owner first 1
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 12:24:14 am »
You can get power drills pretty cheap (under $40) every once in a while especially if they are on sale. They aren't high quality, but they're fine for the odd job around the workshop or house.

The drill I have my girlfriend bought me for $37, and it came with a hard case, a whole assortment of bits, and a ratchet screwdriver, only one battery though. It would be no good for a contractor or even a regular handyman, but for me it get's the job done.

But if you really don't want to buy one, a hand held screwdriver will do the job, it'll just take more time and effort.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 01:07:46 am »
Drive a nail where you want the screw eye, pull the nail out and screw in the "screw" eye.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:24 am »
do you know anyone that can loan you one? gotta be somebody with a drillmotor, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹