Author Topic: time goes by slow  (Read 3047 times)

Offline paulsemp

time goes by slow
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:02:43 pm »
a couple of new sinew backed bows, just waiting for cure time.  the one with skins is a 62" hickory /sinew with deer antler tips. my first hickory sinew. don't think it was needed but wanted to try. second is 54" osage/sinew flat bow with flipped tips. will post more pics as time goes on. need a trade bow to work on to take my mind off them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: time goes by slow
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:06:21 pm »
Looking forward to your progress, Paul.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:51:24 am »
how long do you plan on letting them cure?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:17:26 am »
the hickory i did 2 months ago and just sanded it down and put the skins on. the osage i just did . i like to leave them about 3 months before tillering

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:27:37 am »
Looks like you used titebond III?...correct?...I like to wait to put skins on and make sure its gonna be a bow first. Also because as im honing in my tiller ill take stock off the sides to control my mass...and I used TB3 once n never again...hide glue n sinew for me....but to each his own and that's just the way I do things.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:38:33 am »
blackhawk,
no titebond on these, all hide glue. i agree putting skins on should be one of the last things to do. the hickory i had a string on it before i backed it (i should of said that) the final tillering is what i meant. but i like to leave it for 3 months before i really work it and start pulling on it

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:43:26 am »
Looking good,can't wait to see them all finished up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:48:25 am »
Thanks..I stand corrected  :-X...doesn't happen much but ill admit it.. :)...hope they work out for ya then...glad ya used hide ;)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:52:43 am »
i have made titebond mistakes too!!! IMO titebond is only good for wood to wood and leather to wood

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:49 pm »
Those are looking nice Paul thanks for sharing. Just curious and not trying to highjack your thread but why do you think Tightbond 3 is only good for wood to wood or leather? I was just curious because its what I planned to use on a sinew backed Yew im getting going and with all the rain here I figured the water proof glue would work better :-\ Any info on your thoughts or experiances would be great! thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 04:15:32 pm »
Elktracker
i just have not had luck gluing snake down with titebond,on a sinewed backed bow. i degreased them  with soap and had them lift on 2 bows in many areas. so for backing i just started using hide glue. i live in chicago  and do not deal with all that rain so it has never been a problem. and don't worry about a thread highjack, if people have had luck with titebond and skins on sinew backed, i want to learn what i was doing wrong

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 04:17:34 pm »
Ok I misunderstood I was asking about using tb3 for gluing on sinew.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 04:25:31 pm »
you have had luck with titebond on sinew? i have never thought of doing that.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:29:58 pm »
I have only sinew backed one bow and it was a short paddle style Yew bow and I used tb2 it seemed to work fine but its not seeing allot of use as its a wall hanger for my grandma. Nice bows you have there, look forward to seeing them finished up!

Josh

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 04:40:23 pm »
Josh, I don't think you'll have any problems with hide glue releasing in the NW as long as the snakeskin was sound and a good finish was applied.  What you will find is that a hide glued sinew bow becomes more sluggish with higher humidity.  I don't know if using TB3 instead of hide glue will change that.  I have only used TB3 to glue non-sinew backings (wood, leather, cloth, etc) on bows and it works well then.

Good looking bows Paul. :)

George
St Paul, TX