Author Topic: osage fix question???  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Ifrit617

osage fix question???
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:36:13 pm »
Hi All,

Last summer I made an unbacked Osage shorty from a stave I got from MWirwicki.... The bow had about 5 knot clusters in it which had me little nervous from the beginning... After 3000-4000 shots, the grain has started to lift up around some of these pin knots... I really want to save this bow and this is my game plan...

1. Scrape down the whole bow to remove finish.
2. Scrape down the back and knot areas to remove any lifted grain, and sand smooth.
3. Sinew back the whole bow with 2-3 layers of deer sinew.
4. Re tiller to my previous draw weight and length...
5. Test shoot the crap out of it.  ;D
6. Back with snakeskin and refinish..

Does this sound like a good plan? Any input would be welcome...

Thanks

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: osage fix question???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:58:24 pm »
I'd fill the cracks with super glue, sand it smooth and add a rawhide backing...or do it the way you suggested. Either will work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:12:40 pm »
+1 For Pat's suggestion, it's gotta be quickest, cheapest, most effective.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:17:02 pm »
Thanks for the input guys...The main reason I would rather use sinew over rawhide, is that I don't want to lose any of the bows performance, since it is a blazer at the moment, by adding any weight to the limbs. I am under the impression that the sinew may also be a slightly more durable than rawhide.. I have tried super-gluing the cracks already, but they are so small, it did not help much. Of course I did not add a backing afterwords, so that would probably have been better. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jon

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:22:04 pm »
a thin layer of sinew will go a long way. it would be easier to go around raised knots also. but don't bother sanding smooth , you will need to rough up for sinew. good luck!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:53:52 pm »
The nice thing about rawhide backing is that it really won't change your tiller.  Even the thinnest single course of sinew will have some effect on tiller.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:03:35 pm »
I would scratch the back up, glue the splinters down and put rawhide over that. She will last forever. I put rawhide on a recurve after I shot it plenty without it, I couldnt tell the difference in performance. I have no speed measuring thingy, just my eyes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 10:08:03 pm »
So will rawhide be as bulletproof as sinew, or will the sinew give a little extra insurance, even though it is a lot more work? Thanks for the help.

Jon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:16:35 pm »
The rawhide will be bulletproof, a good clean glue up will keep those splinters where they belong.  Sinew will do the same, albeit with a lot more work, PLUS you will need to let the bow rest and cure for at least a month, three would be better.  And then finally you will retiller.  Don't be surprised if you have to retiller again several more times after that as sinew can take a loooong time to come to a stable state. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:08:43 am »
Ifrit:  Do you have any rawhide?  If you don't, let me know.  I'll send you some.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:59:08 am »
My votes for rawhide too ;)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 05:42:23 pm »
Rawhide it is.. Thanks for the advice everyone...  >:D >:D Love this site.  ;D I'll put up some pics when it is done...

Jon