Author Topic: My first bow  (Read 5845 times)

Offline maitus

My first bow
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:28:32 pm »
Hi !

Here is my first bow . Made from juniper. In my country grow junipers like bushes and takes time to find sam thicker one. Bow is covered  with 3 liers of sinew and birchbark. This tone of colour i got boiling stain from onion peels. This bow was ment to be with straigt limbs and recurve tips but i didn’t have patience to wait the bow drys and i pulled it owrer and got diflex/reflex bow  :). Next time i will be smarter. Nevertheless it seems to be a good bow. The bow is 149 cm-58’’ and draw feels to be same 35 kg- 77 # @ 28’’ so i need extra trainig to shoot  this bow accurately  :D. I hav not shoot this bow in outdoors jet because its rainig ewery day and my bow was not varnished. I shot one book indoors and arrow was broken into three  pieces. I saw  the arrow hit the book ander the angle. Probably theese arrows i bought have too weak spine for this bow. Arrow point was turned to right . There is no proper string as well. I made an order and get righy string next week. By making this bow i made lots of mistakes and i got a good experience.

I started to make two more bows. By both bows i will use sinew as well. I’m in love with sinew  :D

I work with asiatic bow as well but obviosly this will be finished after some eight month.

Offline half eye

Re: My first bow
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 07:32:12 pm »
Weather first or # 100, that is very nicely done, sir!!!!! excellent job there.
rich

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:45:59 pm »
first!?  I would be happy if my 100th turns out that well.  I like the details you put into the handle and the birch back covering.  Keep them coming!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:51:56 pm »
Wow, exceptional work!  And welcome to the addiction >:D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:28 pm »
Great work!! Wish my fist looked that nice! Great Job like the grip too!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
Very nice bow, Maitus.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:37:43 pm »
very nice bow buddy,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:34:34 pm »
Wow nice job :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:39:22 pm »
I had made a comment when this was first posted on the announcement thread. I love the bark backing.

Not only is the bow very impressive, I have to comment on the full draw shooting form. That is classic form. note the drawing arm in line with the shaft. That photo says 'archer' to me. The bow say 'bow maker'.

Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:54:04 pm »
That is a beauty! Congratulations. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:46:36 pm »
That is a fine bow and a fine job making it also.  I like the backing a lot and the grip is nicely done.  I absolutely love the full draw and the bend in those limbs speak for themselves........ :D
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 12:09:19 am »
Howdy Maitus,

It's a beautiful bow, with great curves.  It looks really fast.

I look farward to seeing more of your work.  And, welcome to P.A.

Thanks for sharing,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 02:18:04 pm »
Maitus, great bow sir :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 04:06:18 pm »
We are always kind to people's early efforts, no matter how bad they look.  And we are especially careful to be extra kind to people that are just beginning to post on this forum. 

Maitus, nobody is being kind to you about your bow, they are being honest!  That is extremely good workmanship for a first, or even a 50th bow.  You must be a very careful craftsman, I look forward to seeing more of your work here.  Thank you so much for posting the bow and introducing yourself.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline maitus

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 04:49:31 pm »
Hi ewerybody and thank you very much!

I do not deserve so much praise, just beginners first attempt ...i had luck not to destroy this pice of wood . I would not wonder if this bow will be my best bow for ever . I made many things wrong. Especially in the beginning.
In my opinion is sinew backed bow much easyer to make than selfbow because i don't have to fallow the annual rings on the back of the bow.
But like k-hat  said the bow making is realy addiction  :D